Atmospheric pressure waves from Volcano detected by Tempests (Hunga Tonga-Hunga Haʻapai)

since you have the maths, around when can we expect that return boom ?

I just checked the speed, and based on some rough estimation from the USA map (which has timestamps) it travels at 320m/s, which is pretty close to the speed of sound. In Toulouse that would mean it is 4.5 hours later.
In Groningen it should arrive 6.4 hours after the first one.

great thanks, guess I’ll go deep looking at the data tomorrow morning. See if we can detect it still or if it is too weak to detect. Will post if I see it

Hit my pressure sensors around 4am PST while the local ocean impact came 4 hours later with a record high above MLLW.
Ocean Level

3 Likes

as I posted in my own thread, my Tempest software barely showed a blip in the pressure, but my WeeWX software, which captures the UDP raw data from the Tempest recorded this spike about 4am

which was about 3-4 hours before the tsunami hit our harbor here. I’m at 122W, 37N, Santa Cruz, California.

3 Likes

Today’s grafana reading - Seattle area (Davis VP2 so inside measurement FWIW)

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 10.54.44 PM

1 Like

The waves from opposite sides I suspect met up near west coast of Africa. SantaCruz (Tenerife, Canary islands) had over 5mb from peak to trough which I have not proven yet but I suspect both waves combining. That wave was travelling East to West!
At Uganda and Kenya it is possible to see the waves travelling in opposite directions. From East to West from 8:40pm to 930pm and then from West to East from 4am to 4:48 am.
If you have seen your own wave it is interesting to look at your nearby stations to work out what direction it came from. And the first wave heading west at Kenya had distinct smaller waves following while the later wave heading East was different.
There were other changes in speeds and amplitudes in different parts of the planet too.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

So my Tempest is both hooked up to Weatherflow’s cloud, and I have a RPi4 monitoring its UDP announcements, and recording them in a mysql database using WeeWX.

on the TEMPEST app, even if I blow up the period around 4AM to the max there’s barely a little hump. My unfiltered weewx data, however, shows this…

and a few hours later, the tsunami hit the harbor here in Santa Cruz, California.

2 Likes

And here you see the second wave roll by my place

I wonder what the effect is on weather patterns like the polar vortex …

Can you determine which direction each wave was from?

1 Like

eh… no direction measured, but this wave is the big circular wave that traveled from the Tonga volcano. the other one is the same wave, but basically traveled around the globe in the opposite direction.
In my case the first one traveled 16000km and the second one traveled 24000km

1 Like

from south to north Gibraltar, Toulouse, Paris, Somewhere near Sunny North Holland (All Tempest stations btw)

Yeah I recorded it as far away as Tasmania.

Doing a very rough calculation put the speed of the wave at 300m/s which compares well with the speed of sound at sea level (345m/s).

1 Like

it would be fun the get data near Guezzam, Algeria (there is a little airport) as this location is the antipode of Tonga. Both waves should arrive at the same time

1 Like

Not many station down there and most a reporting like once every x hours so no detailed wave coming in. Closest Tempest I found is way lower where you see the wave

and this is Dakar showing only one ripple

We are loosing the one minute data from the Weatherflow servers now due to it being over 24 hours since the eruption but 5 min data will still be available for several days. I captured screen shots of the charts of it passing places trying to find if it would do a full lap. Places where I confirmed the opposite directions and found both waves (in local times) are Baja California 15th Jan 4:59am West to East, 16th Jan 1:28am East to West, Trinidad 15th Jan 11:56am West to East, 16th Jan 12:32 am East to West, Kenya 15th Jan 9:10pm East to West, 16th Jan 4:20am West to East. Lots of other places, but they give a broad perspective to help you find your second waves.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Sunny, I never thought of using the Antipode. But my calculations from its speed in each direction at Kenya was steering me towards roughly that area. SantaCruz Tenerife Canary islands have some good stations which indicate the wave travelling East to West with a very strong amplitude of around 5mb around 11:50am

1 Like

I would love to see the data from that little airport nearby. (Google Maps)
Basically all the waves emanating from the explosion in a circular shape will all arrive at the same time in that point. That should give a pretty big peak in the data. Perhaps someone with the right connections can save that data before it gets lost (if it exists at all)
Perhaps it can even be seen in satellite data (clouds moving?). I didn’t have a look yet.
Edit. I just did look… no clouds in that area.

I wasn’t able to track any Metar data for that airport and the few info I see is like 1 data point every 3 to 6 hours. Not even sure where they come from.

it looks like there is a weatherstation Weather in In Guezzam (weather station 60690) - RP5 but I don’t have access to yesterdays detailed data.
Even though it traveled all around the globe, the peaks might get pretty big, because it is all concentrating again.
This is still far away https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/I90583261/graph/2022-01-15/2022-01-15/daily but a very clear peak.