Build your own Air Shield

Yes the mount is flimsy. Screwed it to my fence and tied it up to support the mount

Got an ambient solar radiation shield and find it works well and getting stable temps all day, and is in the shade.

The shield has made a slight difference, itā€™s on my fence so can see maybe why the slight temp difference.

Summer will be the true test as winter itā€™s easier to keep a good temp

there are so many cheap options around, 3d printed, made from flower pots ā€¦ and even this kit

Realize that, thatā€™s why I asked about an official one.

I made my own using a Davis 7714 Passive Radiation Shield. I had to cut out the bottom of the 3 solid plates so the WFAIR-01 would fit pretty much fit up inside. It has worked superbly!.

2 Likes

The air will also fit (tightly) inside this shield:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EB3GE4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

My Air sits in permanent shade on my deck. As a result, it is a few degrees warmer at night even though on the north side of the house. It is cooler in the day than my aspirated fan Davis up on the roof in full sun. I donā€™t doubt that the Air is correctly measuring the temp that actually prevails where it sits, so I am fine with that.

Is this one Davis shield? Or 2 put together?

Iā€™m thinking of buying one also.
Is it easy to cut out the solid plates?

This is just 1 Davis 7714 Radiation Shield. There is a top cover (which attaches to the mount on top). . .then there are 4 open plates followed by 3 solid plates. A cutting tool such as dremel must be used to cut an opening in the plastic of the 3 solid plates. Use an Open plate as a template. . . then use a marker to draw around the opening onto the solid platesā€¦then cut out where the mark is. I devised this Radiation Shield configuration so that the wooden block containing the Radiation Shield can be easily lifted Off of the WFAIR-01. This is to facilitate wiping off any dust or bugs that may attempt to live there. For this configurationā€¦the bottom 1 inch or so of the WFAIR-01 will not be covered underneath the shield. . but the majority of it will be. This configuration keeps a majority of the direct sunlight off of the WFAIR-01 while the plates allow for proper ventilation / air flow. The temperature of this WFAIR-01 at the location in the image as compared to a Davis Vantage Vue located about 50 feet away is generally only 0.2 degrees warmer. . .but sometimes the WFAIR-01 canl be as much as 1.5 degrees warmer than the DVV. The front end of the WFAIR-01 (where the little notch is that measures the temperature as you are looking at it) is facing to the North. This is to simulate as if WFAIR-01 was located in an old Weather Bureau Instrument Shelter (Stevenson Screen.)

2 Likes

Im thinking of getting a Davis shield also. Itā€™s a nice setup that way.

Good explanation. Thank you for that.
I want to relocate my Air because of the high humidity readings.
But I need a solar shield because there are no places in my garden where the sun doesnā€™t come.

Only my wooden shed. But than againā€¦ The lack of airflow at that spot.