Hub battery backup question

Soon as I get back on the island I’ll be trying a USB battery bank and see how that goes. The wifi router and cameras/DVR will go on a $5 APC UPS I got from a thrift store (plus new battery of course). If any issues with the weather hub I’ll report back.

Ok, here’s a test. We just had a storm and a brief power outage. Good news, the USB allowed the hub to save data. Bad news, the 110v UPS kept the modem going but… DSL service was lost along with the power outage, so the UPS was no help at all. Errr… Neighbors tell me all phone service was interrupted during the power outage so it looks like I’ll have to take this up with my phone/internet provider.

Hopefully the solution David described above will backfill your data. :slight_smile: Hub battery backup question - #4 by dsj

Yes - . I have a power bank in series between the USB charger and hub, so all data was retained, at least for the short duration of this outage.

I also have the USB charger plugged into a UPS, so between the two that should keep the hub going for days. Whether the hub has the memory capacity to save that much data is another question. We shall see, it’s just a matter of time before another extended outage on the island.

1 Like

This is what did.

2 Likes

Hi @GaryFunk,

Looks nice and simple :slight_smile:
I assume it solves the problems of a normal power bank turning off?
Would you like to share what it is, and its specs?

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

This is the link but the photo is wrong and some of the description is wrong. I bought it December 2013.

New Trent PowerPak Xtreme - (12000mAh) Rugged Series 2A/1A Dual USB Ports Portable Back Up External Battery Charger/Power Bank/Power Pack for the Apple: iPad 4 / 3 / 2/ iPad mini, iPhone 5 / 4S / 4 /3GS, iPod Touch (all version); Samsung: Galaxy Note, S4 / S3 / S2, Galaxy Nexus ; Google: Nexus 10 / 7, HTC: ONE, One X, One S, Droid Incredible 4G; Nexus 4, LG: Optimus series; Blackberry: Z10, Torch, Tour; Motorola: Razr Maxx HD, Droid series; Nokia: Lumia 900 / 800 / 700, Sony: Xperia series, GoPro, and most 5V chargeable devices. (NEW VERSION iCarrier, charges via a micro-USB input charge port) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DUKJ5CQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fov1DbBXW22EP

1 Like

I can provide photo and specs of my setup the next time I’m there (second home) but meanwhile here’s a link to the product, which I purchased at Office Max 2-3 years ago. The specs don’t provide this information but I simply tried various power banks that I had on hand, and found that this one has pass-through charging and stays on all the time.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/491691/Wireless-Gear-5000-mAh-Power-Bank/

2 Likes

Also note that it only has 5,000 mAh capacity, but that is mitigated by the fact that the hub’s charger is plugged into a 110-v UPS which should greatly extend its service time during an outage.

1 Like

Considering the Hub draws so little the unit I use is well able to power it for over 48 hours.

2 Likes

@iladyman I have had this one from EBay since 2018 never had any problems and we have had power outages for over 8 hrs due to line maintenance

GM322 Mini UPS Power Protection Charger 7800mAh DC Power Bank Portable H8Z1

$38.88
regards

1 Like