WeatherFlow PiConsole - Archive

Hi everyone, first post here! I read with interest about the WF PiConsole as it looks like exactly what I need. I’m trying to make a clean, eye catching display of weather data to use at the Sea Cadets where I volunteer as we spend a lot of time on the water, so good info on hand is very useful.

I’ve followed through the auto install instructions. Everything works fine until it gets to the stage of installing Kivy. It’s at this point it falls over and the installation of Kivy fails and it ends the installation. Screenshot (literally!) attached.

I’ve tried this several times on a Pi 2B and 3B, each time with clean installation of Buster with the same results. I was wondering if it could be something to do with Raspbian Buster being very new, and possibly not working 100% with other programs yet? I just thought I would post and see if anyone else has tried to install this recently and hit similar issues?

Equally, I should mention that I don’t have an LCD screen installed to my Pi, I was hoping (if possible) to use the HDMI output to a screen on our wall, if not I will buy a screen. Not sure if this would affect the install process?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, Alex.

Hi Alex! Thanks for checking out the PiConsole :smiley: . I hope it comes in useful for the Sea Cadets.

I haven’t had a chance to test the console with Rasbian Buster yet, but I imagine that this is what is causing the problems for you.

Fortunately, you can still download the latest (previous) version of Rasbian Stretch here: Index of /raspbian/images/raspbian-2019-04-09 (the file you want is 2019-04-08-raspbian-stretch.zip or you can click on this direct download link: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2019-04-09/2019-04-08-raspbian-stretch.zip). You flash the image to your SD card in the exact same way as you did with Rasbian Buster. Would you be willing to see if the installation works with the Rasbian Stretch image and let me know the results? This will help confirm whether Rasbian Buster is the problem. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Peter, thank you for coming back to me so quickly! That sounds perfect, I’ll give it a try tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again,
Alex

Having a few thunderstorms moving through today and I have this on the display. How can today’s numbers be lower than the last 3 hours number?

guess the today total isn’t calculated each run (maybe some kinda cron that runs each hour ?)

Good question! Both the “today” total and the “3 hour” total are calculated each minute, so it seems odd that they have got out of sync. The “3 hour” total uses the strike_count_3h API field, while the “today” total is calculated locally on the console. Let me have a dig around and see if I can find anything wrong. Unfortunately lightning is quite rare in the UK, so it is the hardest part to debug!

Hi Peter, tried again using Stretch but still no joy :pensive: keeps falling over at Kivy install, tried 3 times each with brand new flash. Can only assume it must be something related to Kivy? Screenshot below. If anyone can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated, thanks all.

to me the error mentioned says that the download is or interrupted or the file on the git isn’t complete. In any case that’s what I understand from it. Now why ??

Yu have a slow or unstable connection (wifi for ex) ??

Tried to get it to install last night on Raspbian Buster on a pi3 and the kivvy compilation blew up massively in multiple times after waiting ages for it to compile. I was using the curl | sh method, FWIW.

Suspect your script isn’t installing some package or python module needed for the compilation part, but I dunno. You might want to try a clean build on a newly imaged SD card as a check that they didn’t move something out of the base os on you.

@alextaylor1, @vinceskahan Thanks for your feedback. It definitely looks like something is amiss.

@vinceskahan, did the compilation fail at the same point as @alextaylor1 (i.e. it wasn’t able to clone the git repository), or did it fail further into the process? Do you have the error message you can share?

I will need some time to fix this (and experiment with my own clean builds) but I am away all weekend, so please do bear with me!

1 Like

It tried for a long time to compile then failed, so the clone worked. I can’t provide more data til this weekend other than ‘it failed’ (sorry). How’bout you try a clean build and see how far you get before I dig any deeper…

No worries! Only asking on the off chance. I’ll do some clean builds and see what I find.

I figured out the problem. I lost power for a couple seconds today and the Pi rebooted. When it came back on it had lost the Lightning Today and Rain Today numbers. It must have rebooted in the first case and I didn’t know it.

PM’d you a long transcript of the error messages. Short description of where the failures start is:

arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -pthread -shared -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,relro -g -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 build/temp.linux-armv7l-3.7/tmp/pip-req-build-wgzmz_1z/kivy/core/clipboard/_clipboard_sdl2.o -L/usr/include/SDL2 -L/usr/local/include/SDL2 -L/usr/include/SDL2 -L/usr/include/SDL2 -L/opt/vc/include -L/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -L/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -lSDL2 -lSDL2_ttf -lSDL2_image -lSDL2_mixer -lSDL2_ttf -lSDL2_image -lSDL2_mixer -lSDL2 -o build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.7/kivy/core/clipboard/_clipboard_sdl2.cpython-37m-arm-linux-gnueabihf.so -lm
cythoning /tmp/pip-req-build-wgzmz_1z/kivy/lib/vidcore_lite/egl.pyx to /tmp/pip-req-build-wgzmz_1z/kivy/lib/vidcore_lite/egl.c

Error compiling Cython file:
 ------------------------------------------------------------

from libc.stdlib cimport malloc, free
 from .bcm cimport DISPMANX_ELEMENT_HANDLE_T, ElementHandle
 cimport bcm
        ^
 ------------------------------------------------------------

kivy/lib/vidcore_lite/egl.pyx:4:8: 'bcm.pxd' not found

@vinceskahan thanks for the detailed error message, and thanks @alextaylor1 for your patience. I have tried a few clean installs, but am still struggling to get the Console to install on Raspbian Buster. I’ll keep trying and let you know how I get on.

Hi Alex - good news! I’ve tracked down the source of the issues and the console now installs correctly on Rasbian Buster. I’ll push an update tomorrow, and then hopefully you can get up and running.

@alextaylor1 All the changes to the code have been uploaded to the Git repository, so you should be able to go ahead and install the console on a fresh image of Rasbian Buster using the command:

curl -sSL https://peted-davis.github.io/wfpiconsole | bash

Do let me know how you get on. Cheers!

It ‘did’ indeed compile for me on a pi3 - so thanks a bunch !

Now if I only had a official screen to try it on. Buried deep in the thread is there a partslist of what we need to add to a pi to drive this puppy in its native environment ?

Great! Glad it’s working. The only part you need for the full console experience is the official 7 inch touchscreen (and case of your choice)!

Trying to justify the $75-100 for the display and case, but the software certainly works fine on Buster. Thanks a bunch for the updates…

1 Like