Hub Firmware That Automatically Corrects Wind Direction

Good discussion. Maybe we should convert this thread (or start a new one) into a wiki page for tips on aligning the Tempest?

Responding to the original topic of this thread:

1. We considered adding an electronic compass (magnetometer) to the Tempest, but rejected it partly because of the declination issue @iladyman pointed out (though that could be corrected in areas where the declination is well-known, in theory) but more because the magnetometers would need to be calibrated for the specific location where its installed, and the calibration process is kind of a pain in the butt (here’s the calibration process for our WEATHERmeter for Precision Shooting, which has a built-in magnetometer)
  2. Automatically correcting/calibrating wind direction by analysis of data over time relative to other nearby stations is an interesting idea we have discussed, and may be possible in some cases. But it’s a challenging problem because wind direction is so heavily dependent on small-scale topography and localized weather conditions. It’s still on the table for a future project!

Finally, to @jgentry’s specific case, I agree with what @iladyman says: pick a landmark (or plant one) on Dogwood Street along this green line that you can see from the roof, then aim the blue arrow at it!

8 Likes

Thank you! That will help me tremendously!

1 Like

Would like to dust this topic off. Many of us (fulltime boaters/RV’rs) have a real use-case for lightening detection, as well as wind direction). Obviously, the ‘pointing north’ requirement will prevent easy acknowledgment of lightening strike direction, while underway.

Anyone think about a ‘always point north’ gimbal? Something simple with an acceptable margin of error that could be turned into a mount. I found an ESP32 kit version for PTZ cameras under 100 but made for robotics.

I belong to two cruisers groups (25k+ members) some of which would find this solution enough to justify making the Tempest plunge!

The Tempest is the only device I found with accurate lightening detection and as an East coast cruiser sounds like the right devices, just needing an enhanced mount.

Thoughts?

biggest problem is you want the direction of the lightning strike which the tempest just doesn’t detect at all. A solution with an esp32 with added compass, motor driver board and a motor should work fine. (but honestly, aiming it using a normal compass by hand as part of your routine to setup camp seems easy enough. Perhaps make a marking at the bottom of the mounting pole so you don’t have to stare up at the tempest to orient it)

There are viable ultrasonic anemometer wind options available in the marine market, intended for sailboat use. Likewise, a standalone lightning sensor based on the same chip used in the Sky and Tempest is readily available for $40 in the consumer electronics market, where this lightning chip was intended to be used.

i don’t work for WeatherFlow, but I don’t see it being worth their development effort for a niche market when there’s already better solutions in place from other companies…

1 Like

Hi @kellyjsanders86
I love ‘thoughts’
So throwing another concept into your requirements.
Rather than rotating the Tempest if the Tempest remains firmly attached perhaps in line with the vehicle then there is a setting in the Tempest setup where the orientation can be adjusted to any direction to correct a Tempest which is required to be mounted in a different direction. That could be due to the mount design or the ideal direction for the solar panels to face for better charging. So a magnetic direction sensor could provide the vehicle orientation and change that setting. Most mobile phones now include a magnetic sensor to know its orientation. So if the mobile phone was clipped into its mount AND could be either bluetooth or wifi hotspot or both then ‘some programming’ could achieve something like you want. I am not saying it is simple programming.
It is not currently a simple thing to do while the vehicle is moving but with the current hardware a new software solution may be able to replace your rotating mount.
Which in a way is similar to the original request of this topic and David explained why they will not provide that solution.
So perhaps I hand it back to your rotating mount…
cheers Ian :slight_smile: