Interested in WF but unsure of purchase

indeed it has the possibility to react very quickly to changes in wind speed. It claims to have an accuracy of +/- 0.5 mph. The davis claims to have +/- 2 mph. There are however problems when rain comes in the area of the ultrasonic transducers.

1 Like

you also need to consider other end of the scale . once again the weatherflow is not hitting the max or getting close to what is seen on the davis vp2 cups … both at same height aprox 8 feet apart .i said to you before when you get in the realms of comparing one method against another it will basically create lots of questions and doubts. i think if the marginal difference was smaller you get less concerned but there is a regular 10 to 15 kmh difference on the upper limit .both have identical clear unobstructed view in all directions so the backdraft,reflection is not apparent.

ps expect to see differences but dont get too sucked into it youll find yourself analyzing one against another other than enjoying the hobby…came to the conclusion just use it for what is designed for and i will never run two weather stations side by side in the future creates too much confusion. and the lower end of the scale the cups dont take much for them to spin this was improved in later vp2 models im happy with 0.7mph or 1.12kmh as thats lowest ive seen and recorded but living where i have been for the last few years calm days are rare events …
brian

weatherflow

vp2 cups

Out of 3 rainfalls we have had my sky has recorded rain in line with my Davis vue and ambient clone. I find the sky more accurate so far or nearer the offical rainfall.

But since have reset my sky 3 times due to moving and adjusting it. Had it up 14 feet and get to about 28-32kph start getting false rain indicated, so dropped it down to 9 feet. Where I have mine is not ideal anyway but for me is fine where it is.

Not going on the roof. Not keen on heights and go high then start getting lots of false rain.

The sky is very sensitive to tube wobble and think you need to comprimise a lot more than other stations.

Does the height when your asked to input the height of sky a over ground add or subtract wind speed depending on your height? So does it calibrate wind at the height you input for your sky?

So far loving my sky but think it takes more playing around and moving till your happy.

I have my Sky about 5 feet off the ground. Why? It measures rainfall great with no false rain at this height. I also prefer to see what the wind is doing 5 feet off the ground where humans are walking around vs 30+ feet up where birds are flying. Plus when I had batteries they were much easier to change at ground level vs if I were to mount it on my roof.

2 Likes

I prefer to know what the wind is doing at roof level as that where a house is most vulnerable.

2 Likes