Please add a locking mechanism between the pole mount and main Tempest unit

The “click in place” portion between the pole mount and the Tempest unit has, in my opinion, a critical flaw - there is no “lock” on that base (basically trusting friction). I have had my unit disconnect off the base on a very sturdy 1" galvanized pole that is affixed to a piling (no vibration or movement) - due to wind. I am very sure that, if there was some button or screw by which to more permenantly affix the Tempest unit to the pole mount base, it would not disconnect.

ai, Did it survive the crash?

A story in itself! Lost to sea, unfortunately! :frowning:

Reminds me of this story! Tempest station physically disconnected from base in storm - BLEW AWAY - #9 by jfischetti

Wow! I’d imagine that’s what mine looks like :frowning:

This was not a base “failure” per-se, but more just the flaw I mention in my Feature Request. A “button” that snapped into place when completely affixed between the Tempest and pole mount (or a screwhole that alinged with a stainless-steel screw) would solve for MY issue (doesn’t solve for the failue as described in the article).

Thank you for sharing!

I would like a locking mechanism for a different reason - so it doesnt get stolen. I have it mounted temporarily at the moment. I am still deciding how to mount it. Maybe if I mount it high, that would deter some would be thieves.

Hello, In my bio I mention the same thing. I have mine in Florida and I am very concerned that in a very bad storm or hurricane it will be lost. I have planned to drill a pilot hole and insert a screw to be more secure.

without a hub, it would be useless to thieves.

Nothing in the way of a locking ‘plastic’ mechanism would ever deter anybody who wants to steal it.

Same with all the wire+fiber thieves that seem to be growing exponentially everywhere. Even the threat of (and occasionally karma-related actual) electrocution doesn’t stop them.

The thieves probably don’t know that. Maybe put a sign on it saying…

“This device is useless unless you steal the hub in the house”

Well maybe not.

:grimacing:

2 Likes