Simple Archive Display

I would love to have a display of the rainfall totals by month. Is there any simple way to get that? I’m not savvy enough for Raspberry PI.

Currently that is only available with third-party applications.

1 Like

Hi @nels,
There is a way without using a raspberry pi. It is not simple unless some one writes some code for you. There is an IFTTT app which you can select to record your data to google sheets. It will record a new row every minute even without you running a computer. But the major problem is that every 2000 rows (usually 2000 minutes) it starts writing to a new spreadsheet. I have not heard of anyone on this forum bothering to write some code to solve that issue. I decided to go the raspberry pi method thanks to @GaryFunk.

A solution for you would be to find some one to write some code for you which runs every time a new row is added to the google sheet, that reads the new row and adds the rainfall to your monthly total on a monthly rainfall sheet, and deletes a row from the original sheet so that it never exceeds 2000 rows.
The Google sheets discussion is here: Including Sky data into Google Spreadsheet
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

One could use Windows PC to run ArchiveSW. I see no reason to prevent that solution.

I’m going to hope you didn’t mean it the way that reads…

Remember - people are volunteering their limited time/energy/resources here. It would be more than a little presumptuous to expect anybody to ‘bother’ to do anything in the general sense.

Alternately, you could always come with $$$ and contract somebody to write an open source solution for pay.

He did not as you mistakenly interpreted it.

Bothering is Australian speak for “putting forth the effort.” You must remember this forum is comprised of members from over 70 countries.

4 Likes

The 2000 row limit question was asked here: IFTTT Smart Weather Applet where I offered a link to a solution and nobody on this forum has mentioned following up on the method so I assume people have chosen other options.

1 Like

I hope one day soon some for-profit entity will market a flexible turn-key display & logging solution ( for $$) for those challenged to do one on their own.

I understand WFs decision to NOT to offer a display but there exists now an unmet need for some WF owners.( at least one owner anyway!)

Regards…John

John,

There are options… always options!

For instance, check out this portion of the forums:

Several options there… and yes, including my very own. :wink:

–Sam

John,

It’s just so expensive in small quantities. I could offer that now with ArchiveSW. RPi, Screen and case.

1 Like

Really comes down to feature set and weight/power/size/packaging. You can do it to some extent for under $15 with a nodeMCU and a small OLED display if you want to just grab a few parameters and display the current values, but you’d need to cook it up yourself and support it of course.

FWIW, the console for a Davis station is over $125 if you wanted to buy one standalone, so the pi+display option is in the same ballpark as at least one famous name competitor…

I understand, but there some (one, a few, many?) who want the features of the WF station who for one reason or another can’t “roll their own display” and must instead use only the app. I would gladly pay $100 for a turnkey display with configurable attributes! Regards…John

Define the attributes you want.

1 Like

I would pay $100 for what I’ve described. I assemble my rainfall totals manually now by month.

You could use Weather Display which can log data per day, per month and per year including NOAA style reports.

Hi @nels

I just thought of another easy and free display without using a raspberry pi or having a computer continuously running that you might not be aware of. I have created a weather underground account where my weatherflow station publishes its data. I think it was a relatively easy process to create the account from the weatherflow app. This provides me with a nice graph display that is useful to me. It also provides a tabular output if desired for a period of time. It is then also easy to cut and paste the tabular data into a spreadsheet. And there are more options that you can use. But weather underground has its problems, which are mentioned if you search this forum. Here is an example output from my weatherflow station (you might need to click the ‘Table’ tab): https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=INSWDUDL2#history/s20180901/e20181002/mmonth

1 Like

Perfect! That solves my problem and I didn’t even spend a cent. Thanks so much for the tip!

1 Like

This one looks interesting for a cheapo minimal installation - if it works that is…

https://liliputing.com/2019/01/this-16-raspberry-pi-case-has-a-3-5-inch-touchscreen-on-top.html

3 Likes