Sky - solar panel - overcast days

Yes we are waiting for a reply to the ticket we opened on Saturday.

your solar panel seems faulty, in daylight/sun oit easily goes over 3.5V and in tests it did last over 6 weeks in total dark (solar panel was covered)
Open a ticket with @anon84912554 support :

Please open a ticket at http://got.wf/contact or by emailing support@weatherflow.com

2 Likes

My problem is already solved by support, they will send me a new solar panel.

But I think the capacity of a backup battery in a solar power supply is underestimated, probably assuming only sunny California or Florida :sunny::sunglasses::sunrise:

Actually many of us in other areas have gone for a number of days without sun and have had no issues with the solar panel.

1 Like

Assuming components are within specs I guess the battery backup is OK for many days/weeks with no sun but I’m more worried about the proper assembly dimensions (design / production quality). My Sky started behaving strange after the solar panel was assembled and finally went off line. This happened after several windy and rainy days (60+ mph, 15-20 inches of rain in week). Once I have a chance to take it off the pole, I’ll check for corrosion and tightness. I hope the problem is in water resistance and I could still use the Sky on batteries.

1 Like

Eric, Thank you for letting me know. I will contact support.

Same problem with Sky unit. Worked for 58 days then failed. Its mounted on a 20 foot pole making it difficult to check easily. Dumb question: how do you access the graph of the battery voltage? What should I do?

via web go in settings -> station -> advanced and there is a toggle for forecast and battery card.

What is your station link btw so we can have a look

2 Likes

Enable the Sky’s battery card in settings, then click/tap on the voltage card on the main screen. There have been times that the Sky’s card doesn’t process the setting change, so turn it off and back on to make the setting stick…

1 Like

I did have the same issue 4 days ago. Is there a bug in the software. Check the contact and still no power

Michel

Is your sky powered by batteries or solar panel since last gap early november? Seen the dip in the graph I think it is energizers no ???

The sky unit is Solar powered

mmmm I’m afraid you’ll have to bring down the station and try a reset, check all …
It won’t come back to life. It is day time right now for you …

If after a reset of the sky and checking the connections it doesn’t come back to life there isn’t much more we can do here, sorry :no_mouth:

Please open a ticket at http://got.wf/contact or by emailing support@weatherflow.com

I finally also got around to bringing down my Sky unit…

No signs of water, no corrosion or anything… Everything is looking good I think… I also removed my batteries prior to installing the solar unit… :frowning:

indeed looks pretty clean though I see some drop on sky …
And if you assemble it again, push the reset button trough the whole several seconds, it comes live ?

Have you gotten the ticket @WFstaff opened for you ? If nothing wants to work, reply there as he will assist you from there on.

Thanks

Yes, I have a support ticket :
“WeatherFlow’s support team has created this request for you: 975196”

But I don’t get any signs of life when pressing the reset button, but that’s due to the battery in the solar unit is depleted so its empty… I guess… Should I remove the solar unit and try and get it going using standard AA-batteries and do the reset from there?

if you have a set spare batteries yep, at least it will confirm if it is the SPA that is dead or the sky… I suspect the SPA though

1 Like

Got it thanks… will chase up some packs of AA’s … 8 of them :open_mouth::smiley: and try from there…

just test with any available … energizers is you’re sure it works … none left in a drawer somewhere that still have some juice left ?

Yeah its live now… and got a notification on my phone Sky is back online… do I need to perform a reset still?