Sky - solar panel - overcast days

seems not :innocent:
I would place the sky somewhere in the open but not in a hard to reach place, see if it behaves ok and @WFstaff will most probably send you a new SPA…once that is ok time to get all in place again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got it! Thanks again

I think its performing okay, I tapped on the rain sensor and it showed some rain… wind seems to work also…

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/5166

Don’t think anythings wrong with the station itself… just the SPA unit I guess… you’re the experts though :slight_smile:

/Niklas

1 Like

I think my solar panel is died on November 5th…

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/2037

… I will get some fresh Energizer AA’s and use them for now… Mount it back on my 30 ft pole, and rise it up again… and will deal with the Solar Panel later on in spring… If I will get a replacement part for that… The AA’s would last over the winter I guess.

Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Patrick, your light sensor suggests you have had no real sun since then neither … I think you had mostly bad weather these days in Italy no ?
For now the SPA seems to hold on battery and very little charges when light is good enough … for now let’s wait a day with sun (hopefully soon)

1 Like

The 14th November was a sunny day.
I hope my solar panel work…

Voltage

Not enough light in Finland, this is a month old Solar panel that I got as an exchange because the old one had batteries that leaked (i guess water had penetrated the panel)

Station ID 5245

Micke

indeed almost 6 weeks with hardly enough light to charge … there is an end to everything … except use batteries till spring arrives …

just had a look at a few station around you, most show same symptoms … winter night is to long for the solar panel … back to batteries if you can get to the sky.

1 Like

The replacement solar charger for my Sky just ran down and dropped the unit off line.
I don’t think there is anything “wrong” with these solar chargers, they just don’t have enough panel area to keep the battery up during an extended period of cloudy weather.
I’m in Northern Michigan and it has been cold and cloudy for six days.
I have filed a ticket with WF but don’t see that they can do much.
My station is located where I can get line power to it but WF doesn’t have a AC charger accessory.
Looks like it is back to batteries for me, they last about six months.
What does it say about WF that they released a product that simply doesn’t function in the northern tier?

1 Like

I had the same thing happen to a replacement unit this morning.

This one lasted less than 2 weeks. I suspect like you that these units just aren’t built/designed or able to keep the batteries charged in cold weather.

1 Like

My solar unit went through -30C and kept on chugging along. I don’t think cold has anything to do with a low battery.

1 Like

There seems to be a batch that isn’t to well sealed. More they stay out, more they are prone to fail. WF tested in cold conditions and there is no correlation with cold temperatures so far.

3 Likes

Ya well, if they are shipping questionable replacements for something that is hard to access they have a big problem.
Neither of my units show any evidence of leakage.
Time for WF to fess up and address this problem squarely and not screw around like they did with initial shipping.

1 Like

Our customers are always at the forefront of our minds. If there’s anything wrong with any hardware we will replace it. It is not and never will be our intent to mislead or grief our customers.

9 Likes

I don’t think anyone is being disrespectful. There is though a growing list of those, myself included, who are experiencing failures of the solar unit. In my case, a replacement solar unit lasted 13 days. I submitted a ticket today, first thing, and as of now it’s gone unanswered.

1 Like

Hi @trimike, thank you for sending in a ticket. I will reply to you directly and we’ll figure out what’s going on. Our customer service team is playing a bit of catch-up (seasonal spike in requests timed with new KickStarter + Indiegogo campaign for the new device + field test). Hope you understand.

5 Likes

I’m having the same issue, and sent in a support request. Looks like i may need a replacement as well :frowning:

You can add me to the list of people up north who are having trouble with the reduced hours of daylight and cold weather causing the solar/battery module to be inadequate charged and making my sky go offline.

At least with the original version I have the option of going back to AA batteries, it would really suck if I had a Tempest and had no secondary power option. I wonder how many of the selected testers are in the northern part of the country where the solar panel seem inadequate.

1 Like

That’s an interesting question I hadn’t thought about. Is there no secondary source of power, if needed, for the Tempest?