Solar Panel and Air

Lots of smart people on here to learn something new!!

Yep, but my reason for smiling here is unrelated to that lol!

Sorry, misunderstood I guess!! But there are a lot of smart people on here that I have learned a lot!! I always watch what Gary Funk posts on here!!:+1:

1 Like

No worries, and yes, Gary is making me smile here lol!

2 Likes

@bestboy56 @BuckeyeRay

You both are too kind. Thank you for the comments.

Gary

1 Like

Just so weā€™re clear about the reason this makes me smile. Back on May 14 I asked if the SPA would work on the Air. This was Garyā€™s response, which he has since deleted. Then he started this thread. Yeah, Iā€™m sure this will get flagged and voted down and hidden, but Iā€™m a fan of honesty and transparency.

Capture

So thank you for validating my idea, Gary, I appreciate it.

4 Likes

You asked if it will work well. As you see it might in certain circumstances.

I appreciate that you appreciate my answer.

1 Like

Note: in some cases, the Solar Panel accessory voltage regulation will trip the lightning detector in the AIR. Another reason why we recommend simply to use AA batteries for AIR.

8 Likes

At least Gary is trying new things! If not we may never knowšŸ‘

2 Likes

Our main solar array was tripping the lightning detection. Moved Air 10 meters away and works fine.

2 Likes

I have the case where the Solar Panel is not causing an issue with false lightning detection on the Air.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve put this in the photos chat, but figure it belongs here too. Beta 1 trial of Air, solar and Ambient shield. Faces west, on north side of deck. Watching voltages and lightning detection measures over next couple days.
5650D66C-BD0F-4571-86EE-80954E26F9F2

Edit: am getting lightning detections but will let it go until tomorrow. Still beta 1. :).

1 Like

Beta 2. Pointing due south. Will have to see how the deck affects temp although the Davis above works just fine. Air is shielded from direct sun.

Air sits below the old Davis but only in body. Equal in spirit :smile:

Looks great.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see how you turn the Air 90 degrees to quiet the false lightning yet keep the solar pointing south. Possibly doesnā€™t matter that much I guess depending on how little power the Air needs to keep running.

Great suggestion. The Solar is attached to Air the same way as to the Sky unit though, so itā€™s hard to turn the unit without also turning the solar.

Iā€™ve had the unit pointing in a few directions so far, but thereā€™s lots of lightning strike detections that shouldnā€™t be there (multiple strikes per hour. There were no strike detections during the night tho). From earlier chats, seems itā€™s something to do with the voltage regulator in the solar triggering the Air unit.

Voltage for the Air remains at about 3.31v which should be ample, although my Sky is running at 3.56v (more directly in the sun though).

For now, Air/solar is tracking 1C higher than the Davis above it. Will continue monitoring.

Interesting that the white plastic of the Ambient shield never gets hot despite being in direct sun. Heat gun shows itā€™s only about 88F. Pretty good ! Air should be ok inside it then.

Yeah mine is causing false lightning detections during daytime. Not during darkness though.

If the Sky with the solar panel is located 5 meters from the Air (up on the mast), will it cause false strikes?

I doubt it. I have not seen any change in lighting strike count with a SPA about that far away from the Air.

1 Like

Mine didnā€™t cause false detections either when it was about 10 ft away. Iā€™m getting false hits now that I have a solar unit attached directly to Air. To be fair, WF staff did say this could cause false strikes. Interesting that I get no false strikes on Air / solar during night hours tho.