Unable to update wfpiconsole - permissions issue

I have been running wfpiconsole on a rpi 3 for a few years. In the past in order to update the console I ran:

sudo wfpiconsole update

However, now when I run it, I get the following error:

Screenshot 2023-12-19 073806

If I run it without “sudo” then I get “permission” denied as seen above.

This seems like an OS thing and maybe not a wfpiconsole issue but I’m not sure where to start as I’m not sure what changed.

Ref info:
Pi 3 (Buster)
wfpiconsole version installed: v23.3.1

Mine is also running the Buster operating system. . .and ‘wfpiconsole’ v23.3.1. I have purposefully elected NOT to upgrade the operating system or the console version to v23.11.1. Why not? Because my console has been running very smoothly on Buster and v23.3.1 for a Long time. “If it works. . .don’t mess with it!” I’ve seen too many reports like yours above to where the upgrade causes rather severe issues. I’m perfectly content and satisfied leaving my ‘wfpiconsole’ as is. . .because it works Just Fine.

I agree and don’t have a need to update it except that it dims my display and has the “update” notification in the corner to which I have to touch the display at least once a day to remove it. Do you know if the “update” notification can be disabled?

I like that “dimmed” disply a midnight each day because it’s kinda like a screen saver. Since I don’t speak Unix / Linux OR Python as a second language. . . I know of cronjobs to make the display totally blank out at midnight. . .then wake up at 8am. . .but I don’t know how or where to insert such a cronjob. The “dim-down” with the “Update Available” fills that void for me!

There may be a way to disable its notification to your console . . .but unless you speak Linux or Python fluently (going into the code to disable that “Update Available” message from appearing). . . .the only Other way to disable it is to upgrade to v23.11.1. . .but it is NOT compatible with Buster operating system. Would have to upgrade to Bullseye or even the OS after that. Again . . .I leave mine on Buster // v23.3.1 since I am not a programmer and don’t wish to render my ‘wfpiconsole’ Useless forever by “monkey-ing around” with the code / OS!

Try ‘bash wfconsole update’ there without sudo.

Tried this and got:

pi@pi3WX:~ $ bash wfpiconsole update
wfpiconsole: wfpiconsole: Is a directory

(updated answer after looking at your original post again…)

How it all fits together under the hood

pi@pi3plus:~ $ ls -lgd /usr/local/bin/wfpiconsole
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 35 Nov  2 16:22 /usr/local/bin/wfpiconsole -> /home/pi/wfpiconsole/wfpiconsole.sh

So the command you typically use is a symlink to the real location of the script that does the work. Unfortunately your system has the wrong permissions on wfpiconsole.sh almost certainly.

Run this command and your output should match.

pi@pi3plus:~/wfpiconsole $ ls -al wfpiconsole.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 44805 Nov  3 10:29 wfpiconsole.sh

See the -rwx-r-x-r-x part ? The x means execute permission. I suspect yours looks different with no ‘x’ there. If so, that’s a bug perhaps. To fix it if yours differs in permissions:

chmod 755 /home/pi/wfpiconsole/wfpiconsole.sh

Once your permissions are fixed up to have execute permission bits set, I’d suggest always using the full pathname to the command ala:

/usr/local/bin/wfpiconsole update

That’ll stop your shell from getting confused regarding whether it’s trying to execute the ‘directory’ with the name wfpiconsole that has all the actual software in it.

Thanks for the info. It at least led me to the true reason it was failing…OS is no longer supported. Not sure if I will go to the trouble of updating it since my second
wf is on it’s last leg so I’m not sure how long it’s life will be.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 223658