Update Wind Gusts more often

It seems like 3 minutes is a long time to update wind gusts/display max wind.

If looking at the app and it shows you the number/wind on the display… taking 2-3 minutes before that gust even shows up on the display as the gust is pretty lame.

The basic display should show max… the customer support was saying something about gusts being averaged, and that was why it takes 3 minutes… so fine, if averaging gusts report that as “Av. Gust” but also have the “Max Gust” shown without needing to go into history.

I thought gusts was update once a minute.

1 Like

Their support rep I spoke with yesterday said 3 minutes… but if you’re looking 1 minute after the last update, it would be 2 more minutes… or 2 minutes after update, then yeah, 1 more minute.

The thing is though, if their app is showing the wind every few seconds on the screen, it should not need to wait minutes to update the gust/max wind.

I’m not asking for data they don’t have from the Tempest… the data is displayed for a flash on in the little dial on the app… but then is replaced… but they had the data from the station, it just needs to be incorporated into display on the app more quickly.

Let me put it this way… if you’re looking at the app and the current speed in the circle says 12mph… but the gust info says 1-4mph for the next 2+ minutes, that’s pretty lame

It is a bit complicated, but when you look at the grid view, it is my understanding that the gust is defined (in weatherflow’s implementation) as the max that happened during the last minute (only calculated once a minute, not every 3 seconds).
When you look at the graph it is a very dubious implementation as it defines gust as the max during a longer period, which depends on the zoom level. So when zoomed out the most, gust is the max during a whole day.

1 Like

I’m not sure why it is a “grid” view when it is rows and no grid.

That said, you are right, in that “grid” view the data displayed is not straight-forward at all, as what is being shown on that view literally contradicts itself.

Bottom line, one should not need to go into history or graph to see the max wind for the day… they should be showing “max gust” and “gusting”, where the max would obviously be the maximum and the “gusting” can stay how they have it, delayed average over whatever period… but “max gust” should ideally be updated immediately once the app sees a new max value… while the web site whenver they notice it… but frankly it is a variable that should be checked more than 1 minute or 3 minutes intervals.

That said, you’ll note my post regarding better display options… if they would create a better app-based display optimized for a tablet (iPad) to resemble a traditional weather station, the app can monitor that wind value to locally (in the app) update the max gust on that display. (A button to reset a telltale on the “wind tachometer” would be awesome.

Now, I’m not clear if those averages/calculations are happening in the station/hub or on Weatherflow’s servers following data upload, and then pushed back.

I think wind gust is best defined as the max wind during a period of 10 minutes. Independently of the zoom level. If you zoom out a lot, it should take the average of those values, not the max. Same with the lull, as currently when zoomed out the graph almost always just shows zeros.
I don’t mind if that max during the period of 10 minutes is updated every 3 seconds, once a minute, or even once every 10 minutes, but I can appreciate your wish to do that once every 3 seconds.

This topic has nothing to do with zoom levels or graphs.

Lets try this… imagine customers sitting in their house and notice a strong wind gust outside, and so they go to their app (or tablet as display) to see how fast that gust was.

In the old days, you could simply look at a telltale on the analog meter… or an older weather station connected to my Win XP computer you could look at the display and it would show you how fast the recent gust was. You did not need to be looking at it live… and you didn’t need to wait 1 minute or 3 minutes for that info to show up, it was just there as a max gust. You didn’t need to click on anything to look at a graph and zoom in or zoom out… the info was just RIGHT THERE ON THE DISPLAY.

I appreciate that you can appreciate my wish, that is very kind and generous of you.

If people want to get lost in the data in whatever granular/zoomed-in detail they want, and that is great such information is available…

I’m requesting/suggesting that they also work on making the opposite more available and user friendly, easier to get such a basic and desired piece of information without all the added steps or waiting minutes for calculations or whatever… plus, if the gust info can be all processed/calculated “in-house” (without needing Weatherflow’s servers) we can still see such info reliably even if our internet fails… which is truly helpful as during storms is one time we most want our weather info.

1 Like

Hi @dougberger ,

Where are you looking at for your readings?
On my grid view of my wind it shows the current 3 second speed and direction and every minute the max 3 second gust in that minute.
The graph also updates for that minute and shows all the previous minutes gusts.
And to watch that happening in real time I just created this display where you can watch the wind values in the different windows.
There will be a slight delay of a few seconds but otherwise it is up to date for the most recent minute.
http://home.exetel.com.au/flyfree/newcastle/weatherflowdemo3.html
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

Yes, I am looking at the “grid” view (which isn’t a grid, it is just rows)

In the circle at the left shows one set of data which does not match the text data above the line, even though for the data to be shown in the circle, it must be in the app… it just isn’t incorporated in what is being shown in the larger text… and then, of course, also, is the ‘gusting’ info… which pays no attention to the data being displayed in the circle… instead needs to wait however long before updating to the data that was already previously shown in the app… and ignored as a high value until separately pushed as a different data point/variable.

Of course, wind which one wants to see more often/from a greater distance is much smaller than the barometer’s font size for example.

Thankfully, the BTST app has better display options for viewing from a greater distance, but I’m not a fan of companies that require 3rd parties to create apps to fix the problems/shortcomings with the apps that the seller of the product provides.

I’m also kinda tired of hearing about graphs graphs graphs, when I’m wanting the weather station I purchased to have a display that is big enough for people to see/read easily AND idiot proof so that folks don’t need to constantly click on things to see the info that should have been visible on the main display (or multiple full screen display options or customization.)

While not an issue for me personally, I do have others for whom the station was purchased for them to easily view the info… and especially for them, “just” clicking on things is not easy for them, and usually produces the wrong results, because there are 10’s of Millions of Americans alone who are not that saavy with electronic devices. I’ve only had it installed for 1 week and I’m already tired of their many times per day confusion with trying to see basic stuff because they didn’t consider designing for non-electronics saavy users.

1 Like

the biggest text in the wind panel is the average wind speed and direction of the last minute, those are the ones that you want to see if you just quickly look at the screen! They are also easily readable from a distance.

To the left is the actual current wind, which updates every three seconds, and can therefore be a bit noisy (wind can be highly variably). The horizontal bar, also represents the 3 second wind measurements. To the right is the gust/lull (calculated once a minute). Those values are for people that want to know a little bit more. Only if you want to see the past data in a graph you need to click on something.

Hello, how do I get that wind display you created for my tempest area?

I gave up and purchased Weather Display and run it 24/7 on an old Windows laptop. It updates wind every 3 seconds and tabulates the max gust when a new, higher value occurs. I also get a 1-minute log of all the data in downloadable .csv format for independent use.

WeatherFlow is gradually improving the app and I hope they hear you. Many solutions offered here assume I have a deep understanding of electronics and protocols. I don’t. I like simple and think that is what you are hoping for as well.

Thanks for opening the discussion.

None of us users created the name but grid and card are both used for the grid view. That being said, a grid can be a 1xN size if you want to be picky.

What I hear you saying is that you want different meanings for what WeatherFlow chose. Both your view and their view are logical.