CWOP : sharing data

My opinion, until the hardware issues and firmware issues are all solved I think the staff will remain busy with the current software issues.

What are the known hardware and software bugs at the current time? I almost pulled the trigger on getting a Tempest but now looks like I’ll be waiting awhile until things calm down.

Thanks,
tweatherman

Meanwhile I was able to upload the date with my Rpi.
It’s now serving as data logger/uploader for my solar panels to PVOUTOUT.ORG and feed some weather pages (CWOP & Awekas)
So if you want to share your code for visualization, it would be great !

Erwin

The vast majority of my weather page is based on the belchertown weewx skin:

He has great instructions on how to set up and customize, including great directions on getting running with MQTT and websockets to get live updates.

The majority of my changes were related to the webcams. If you choose to try out the belchertown skin and also want the customizations I made, let me know after you get the belchertown skin set up and I’ll share my changes. What I should do is get the changes into github … maybe eventually …

2 Likes

It was easy to get it working. It took some time to translate, but it looks OK now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very nice! Post requires at least 20 characters, so I’m typing a few more words. :slight_smile:

20 is easy…

2 Likes

No update yet - the ball is mostly in Synoptic’s court at this point, and it has not risen to the top of their priority list. NOAA & NWS does have direct access to Tempest data.

It should be very straightforward and relatively easy for Ecobee to add a Tempest integration. We’d be happy to assist if they want to add one!

PS: Probably the best thing you can do is ask Ecobee to add a Tempest integration, and encourage other Tempest+Ecobee owners to do the same!

I see our station at Map Results | Wind, Forecast, Radar, Weather & More | WindAlert, however, the name of the station has not changed to the correct one. It shows a name I gave it at a test location.

Here is the station page showing it’s name as Llampha Farmhouse Tempest

For these kinda request you better open a support ticket as weatherflow staff doesn’t come here all the time. And we don’t have the ‘power’ to change those things as users :slight_smile:

On top is the link to the support system, open a ticket and they will help you out quickly.

I have a Rachio irrigation controller. Rachio’s documentation for PWS integrations says that they get weather data from the Aeris service. One of Aeris’s weather sources is “Officially sanctioned PWS’s that have registered with NOAA’s Citizen Weather Observation Program (CWOP).”

The post that started this thread says not to share Tempest data with CWOP because “it is already done automatically”. That sounds great, but I don’t see how to get Rachio to use my PWS if it doesn’t have a station ID in CWOP. There may also be a disconnect with Aeris using only “Officially sanctioned PWS’s”, which probably don’t include my Tempest that I haven’t registered explicitly with CWOP.

Can some knowledgeable person unravel this? Is it possible for Rachio to get weather data from Tempest through Aeris and CWOP? There certainly are a lot of players in the weather data game and it isn’t at all clear (to me, anyway) how they relate to one another.

Any update on viewing the Tempest data on MesoWest, etc.? Has Synoptic made any progress?

They are actively working on integration now, but note that Tempest data will not be automatically viewable in MesoWest.

1 Like

Ok. So will it become viewable in MesoWest anytime in the future?

That’s still unknown at this point.

2 Likes

Good afternoon,
I am a new Tempest WeatherFlow station owner and have been very impressed with it so far. I am a broadcast meteorologist in Wisconsin, and am looking to integrate this station into my weather system, via CWOP.

I’m a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff of setting this up, but from the looks of it, you have done this and are currently sending your data to CWOP.

If I am reading your post correctly, you are using weewx? The company I work for doesn’t allow for Linux based systems on our network, so I’m not sure if you are aware of a different alternative?

Thank you for your time.

Meteorologist Chad Franzen
WSAW TV

Hello Chad

Glad you like the Tempest. First time ever I hear no linux policy (knowing MS security level this is weird least to say :slight_smile: He could make a special vlan with guest policies for ex to secure it from other network… ) Would your network admin allow something like Meteobridge ? You have several options price wise from a full integrated thing (pro) to DIY flash a little router.
It has to be on the same wifi as the Tempest as it will listen to the local UDP stream from the Tempest and catch the data, and from there you can forward to lots of networks

I hope this might be an option.

Here is a dedicated topic for the meteobridge

1 Like

In my case indeed using WeeWX running o a Raspberry with OS = Raspian_Buster.
If Linux-applications are ‘forbidden’ in the network, very difficult to find a practical solution, because the alternative of MS-applications is less safe, more rare and more difficult …

@user376 From a simplicity standpoint, I would use WeatherBox by @btst.online to upload to CWOP.

1 Like