Google Home integration : shut down by Google!

You should read what you wrote. Google made a change not Tempest
Don’t apologize for google

I’m not apologizing for Google. I’m a software developer by trade, we change software all the time and sometimes those changes require a third party to also have to change their code to accommodate it.

Changing != abandoning.

Yes, Google has a habit of abandoning projects, moving from conversational actions in favor of app actions is not one of them.

1 Like

Anyhoo, are the devs are tempest working on this? I recall somewhere reading about it being sorted out in the “next software (or firmware) update” but not heard anything since.

This was a thing I used daily:

• “Hey Google, ask Weatherflow for the weather report”
  • “Hey Google, ask Weatherflow for the temperature”

Sorely missed!

3 Likes

Just installed my new WeatherFlow, everything I had read said ‘works with Google’ but obviously this was all old information, appreciating that things change and takes time to resolve, but would love an idea on when the dev team might have some kind of connectivity running again, I am specifically interested in using the Google Home Automations to access the WeatherFlow data to use as triggers etc.

Any updates from Team Tempest?

3 Likes

Same here, looking to automate several things on Google Home using tempest data and events.

Temporarily using IFTTT as a workaround, but it isn’t great.

Thanks!

Google shut down the Conversation Actions that allowed the device to work with Google. Google replaced Convesration Actions with App Actions. Tempest has integrated App Actions in a recent update, if you say “OK Google, Show me the weather using Tempest” It’ll open your Tempest app and read back the conditions to you. Not ideal, but it’s better than what we had.

If it’s any consolation, even when there was Conversation Actions, it didn’t do much more than tell you weather conditions.

If you want automation controls, you have to go through IFTTT, Home Assistant, or SmartThings…or write custom scripting using the API. Tempest has never allowed you direct access to Google Assistant automations as triggers.

1 Like

Can this be done from an Android Phone using Google Assistance or only other types of devices?

It can only be done from an Android Phone using Google Assistant. Google’s App Actions platform requires the app to be installed on the device. Since the other Google Assistant devices like Google Home and Nest Hub Max don’t allow apps to be installed, it won’t work there.

Colored me confused. I have a Pixel Fold with Android 14 (beta but dropping out as soon as I can!).

How would I inquire about the Tempest Weather? I tapped Assistant and tried using both “OK Google, Show me the weather using Tempest” And left off the Ok Google. Neither gave me Tempest data. They did turn up searches for Tempest. :laughing:

Google recently disconnected Google Assistant and Google Search. When you tap on the microphone that used to launch Google Assistant, it now launches Google search. You have to either trigger the Assistant by saying “Ok Google” or by long pressing the power button.

1 Like

text kurzívouThe problem is now very complicated and long unresolved🥴

For me, the problems started back when “conversational actions” were still functional. By the time I added a second Tempest under my account, it no longer worked. After that, the conversational actions were terminated by Google.

Since then I have only corresponded with Tempest support (it’s been many years!) Never resolved, support blamed it on Google at first, later the replies were of no value anymore.

@mabeatty1978 above writes that:
“Tempest has integrated App Actions in a recent update, if you say “OK Google, Show me the weather using Tempest” It’ll open your Tempest app and read back the conditions to you.”
However, this is only functional on an Android smartphone with the Tempest app. But unfortunately for me, it reads the weather from the station, historically the first one in order that I have in my WF account (I have 3 there). But the first one is the long dead Weather Flow 1st generation (2016). I still have that one in place in my app because of the historical data, and to this day support has not been able to merge it with the Tempest station that replaced it.
So this is unusable, bad.

The other option - if I say the phrase above to any Google Home Assistant (which I have installed in my home), it doesn’t work at all.
Respectively, the Google Home Assistant will only tell you the local weather from Google somewhere, but definitely not from one of your Tempest stations.

So the service is now not usable at all, especially for someone has Tempest stations more …

1 Like