Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

I’ve been looking at everyone else’s photos for so long, I might as well post some.

I finally get sun enough to get out of Mode 3 (or worse…yes possible) and for some reason my haptic sensor doesn’t work…darndest thing…

Yes is is mounted on a deck, but the deck is about 15 feet above ground and deck is open on all sides.

We had freezing rain today and it is hard to see but it is actually above the connection to the base plate. That mount has not moved in 50mph wind but the ice forced it to turn 90 degrees, can’t explain that one easily.

3 Likes

Too bad you don’t have a time-lapse video of it. That is really strange.

The really frustrating thing is that I have a camera pointed the opposite direction that has timelapse. I’m guess that the water got underneath and froze on one side first pushing it in a circle…that is just a guess thou.

2 Likes

How does your wind compare to your Davis?

tweatherman

Yet to have any significant wind but early indications are readings very similar, maybe up slightly and direction more stable. The sensor is more sensitive and so records gusts more quickly. I guess the lag in the Davis is caused by inertia of the spinning cups and friction in the gearing? Haptic similar, very light rain is recorded whereas Davis zero until tipping mechanism of cup activated. Merry Christmas.

1 Like

This Tempest unit is my first weather station and I’ve wanted one for a long long time. My wife got it for me for Christmas. After reading this thread I chose this location to try it out. The best location is probably that roof peak but I wanted to survive Christmas. This location will mess up winds from the northwest I think but that’s not a common wind direction. We’ll see over time by comparing to a few local Weather Underground stations.

This is a Home Depot 6’ vinyl closet rod installed with three galvanized pipe clamps. Two at the base and one on the crossbar at a 90 degree angle. It seems very sturdy.

My location is Chatsworth California, in the far northwest corner of the San Fernando Valley. Currently reading 73F on the way to 78 or so. We had a Christmas heat wave but 5 days of rain start tomorrow.

7 Likes

New user here, happy so far with installation and operation of my new weather station. Mounted about 8 feet above-ground, well clear of buildings. My 4x4 post has been bent over about 10 degrees by the tension on the cable at the top, so the detector isn’t dead-level, again about 10 degrees off I think. Anyone see a challenge with that?

1 Like

Shouldn’t matter a whole lot, but the tree will block the wind especially when the foilage comes out.

tweatherman

1 Like

The lights attached to the post might introduce false rain during windy conditions. If you see rain when it isn’t and it is windy, or the rain accumulation is extra high, it might be due to extra vibrations coming from the wires.

2 Likes

Here’s mine using uni-strut, 1” strut straps and a 10’ stick of 1” EMT putting my tempest 8’ from finished grade. I figured I didn’t need to know the temperature 10’ above my roof. Why so high?
I’m waiting for the hub and power supply to be delivered. We haven’t had much sun here in FarNorCal (Redding,Ca). My tempest has been in power save mode for 2 days about 3 times this month.

4 Likes

Sounds like it it time to order a PBA. Power Booster Accessory – WeatherFlow

Tempest fitted and co-located with my Davis Vantage Vue for 6 weeks; readings virtually identical. It has experienced very heavy rain and so pleased with rain gauge accuracy. The wind is comparable but Tempest slightly more sensitive than the Davis which I put down to no moving parts and so no inertia or gear lag, likewise the rain sensor more sensitive. Particularly like the UV sensor as we are thinking of a solar panel fit and so able to get a feel for when/how long panels will charge. Really pleased with my Tempest. Staffs, UK

8 Likes

Raised my Tempest in my backyard today to near 16 feet. Minimal sway :muscle:t2:

3 Likes

I’m waiting for the PBA and Hub to arrive any day now.

Regards,
John Wagner

1 Like

I got mine a few weeks ago, make sure you firmware is updated. If you set it up and voltage is maintained (once charged) at 2.81V, then you definitely need an updated firmware. You can just enter a support ticket and they will up date it within a few days typically. If you search for the Power Booster Accessory, someone gave me a very descriptive method on how to check the firmware (it is not intuitive).

You don’t have a hub? How is your Tempest providing data? Or did your hub go bad and you have to replace it?

As @glenngoddard mentioned, check the firmware on your Tempest. Make sure it is at least v165 for it to work properly with batteries in the PBA. You can check most easily by clicking the
Screenshot_20230116_203700_Tempest near the bottom of the Web view of your station or in any view go the your station’s status (Settings, Stations, station name, Status).

@jwagner022570

As a follow up to what @gizmoev mentioned above. . .if you station ever goes the opposite way. . .then you would see this at the bottom and for station Status.

Screenshot_20230116_203700_Tempest

For the sake of consistency … how about the text and icon share the same layout?
@WFstaff

1 Like

The upper one is from the Android app and the lower one is what I see on the web. Haven’t checked the iOS app yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I just received the booster and hub today. It’ll be a bit until I get that up and going. Need to get power over to where tempest is at. Weather must cooperate though.

Regards,
John Wagner

2 Likes