REST API Wind readings

I am looking for wind speed but based on the API the below data points are the only ones I can find.

“wind_avg”, = I read this as the average of the speed all day, but?
“wind_gust”, = I read this as the max gust today. but not sure if that is correct
“wind_lull”, = no idea.

Curious how actual wind speed is determined?

When not in power saving mode, the tempest usually samples every 3 seconds. Wind_avg is the average over the report interval (the 17th variable). Usually that is one minute, unless you kind of zoom out. Gust is the max of those 3 seconds samples during that interval and lull is the minimum.

Thank you for the reply.

What is it that you are looking to accomplish? It doesn’t sound like the API is going to provide you what you are looking for, but something else may. If you provide more details, we might be able to get you closer to what it is you are trying to acheive.

A little background. I had an Ambient and was using the API to store data in a MySQL database for my own site/use. After switching I am looking at the fields and there isn’t an actual field that is called wind speed. So I am trying to figure out how to display the current wind speed, plus wind gust and daily max gust.
I am not sure I explained well enough.

The Tempest hub broadcasts UDP messages from the hub, this is the raw data that is being sent to Tempest. Instead of getting the wind from the Rest API, you can get the live wind data from here every 3 seconds.

Here is a Python program that reads data from the hub GitHub - MABeatty1978/weatherListener. It’ll print the wind readings every 3 seconds, but I only coded it to format for rain and lightning, but you can get the live wind readings syntax here WeatherFlow Tempest UDP Reference - v171 and modify it to your needs. Let me know if you need more help

I did read and see some apps where others have used the Hub. I guess I need to look into grabbing from there then. Thanks for the information and the links I will check them out.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.