Tempest app : first experiences

The new app logo is a little more common then the old one which was quite unique.

Click the little “tempest” icon on the upper right side of the page and you will have the exact same layout as the original app. Everyone gets a choice on which version they want to use.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bugs : tempest weather app

@hankster and @wxlist - I have been trying to dig into this a little more, because clearly there is some misunderstanding going on.

I think the issue @wxlist is having is because they have more than one Sky associated with their station.

In the old app if you pressed the icon in the upper right you would get a full list of the current conditions from which ever devices were marked as primary, and beneath that you would get a full list of observations from each device attached to the station (hence the 4 screens that @wxlist is sharing showing Current Conditions, followed by Covington Ridge Air, Covington Ridge Skyy @ 34’ and Covington Ridge Sky @ 10’). In the new app you don’t get that. You only see data from the primary sensors in the Current Conditions list view, and there is no way of seeing data in a list view from all the other sensors attached to the station. If you press the icon in the top right you switch to the card view which is the same as the old app, but I don’t think this is the issue @wxlist is having.

3 Likes

even the Air unit had ‘only’ an accuracy of +/-0.4 degree Celsius (0.7 F), so this difference is well within tolerance. I don’t know about the accuracy of the Tempest but I would be really surprised if it was any better then that.

1 Like

scroll down on the new main screen and you get the other parameters.

1 Like

You mean under the forecast you see the list view that is titled “More Current Conditions”? The point I was trying to make was that this section only shows data from one Tempest, or one Sky/Air combo. If you have multiple Air/Sky devices on your station, you can no longer see a list view of the data coming from each device. You can only use the card view.

It is similar to the issues that @dave is facing:

I can’t test any of this as I don’t have multiple modules. I am just trying to work out why there is so much mis-understanding going on.

3 Likes

aha, that is true. and in my case it shows the pressure from my broken air unit (already reported to support)

1 Like

One should be care about referring to WE. Not everyone is opposed the the app displaying a forecast.

4 Likes

Any plan to add a radar map to the app? I am not a pro weather guy and maybe radar maps are inaccurate but I like to see what coming? I have never really seen a weather app without at least linking to a 3rd party map for radar?

Also if my father in law gets a tempest can I also link to his in the app with a toggle somehow? Or to any other public tempest station for that matter?

2 Likes

Yes! Radar is on the project road map for the mobile app and web app.

The station map will be available on the web app and there will be a link in the mobile app.

Better sharing capabilities is on deck for a future app update. This is a great feature request.

7 Likes

Reply to Dave in that topic:
It is not typical for users to have more than one AIR/SKY or Tempest on the same station. Data shown comes from the “primary” device. Current solution is to contact customer support to request a primary device change. User capabilities for this will be supported in the apps soon.

7 Likes

Already missing the graphs to show past trends.

It was nice to be able to look/scroll back at past/historical plotted measurements.
Now it just seems to be numbers (High / Low / Average).
Were people really not using this?

Example:
On the old app - one can easily scroll back and visually find the coldest day in January
by scrolling through the plotted line.

It is still there in the new app, just tick on the Tempest icon (little top right) and you’ll flip to the old page and from there all graphs are viewable …

5 Likes

I did not know that was there.
There was no tutorial or anything to highlight or point out that that icon does something.

I am sure others will be also asking.
:wink:

The documentation has not been finalized.

2 Likes

Perhaps an animation (or jump out) when you first open the app
(only on first time launch), would be more intuitive.

People keep telling me that the current generations don’t read through instructions anymore.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic feedback. I track weather in several favorite areas in the US and in Michigan. It will be great to be able to toggle/use a public station in those areas to get similar data to our personal weather station in the app.

1 Like

I had gotten the email questionnaire about a week ago and filled it out immediately. I still haven’t gotten any shipment indication despite today’s email saying once you fill out the survey you should get shipping within days to a week. Is this normal?

I really do not like the new app at all and here is why.

I bought WeatherFlow to obtain the weather details at my home. I did not buy it for weather forecasting. There are dozens of weather forecasting apps/sites available and they are all wrong often so I don’t put much importance on the forecast. When I open the app now, I feel like I am looking at generic weather info from any weather app. Now the weather details from my Sky and Air take up approximately one third of the screen. The rest is all weather forecasting information. The weather details that are provided are missing lots of data that I want to see, and what is shown is truncated or rounded.

Temperature is rounded.

Humidity is missing

Wind does not update every 3 seconds

When wind does update (~every 60 seconds), the whole screen refreshes

The UV index is rounded.

The wind speeds are rounded.

Atmospheric pressure reading is missing

Atmospheric pressure trend is missing.

Rain data fields are missing (but it has not rained so I don’t know if or where it will show up)

Link to the map is missing. (This is missing on the original screen now too)

I know some of this info is available by scrolling all the way down, but I don’t want to have to do that. I want to open the app and see the data I want to see. I don’t even want to have to tap on the icon in the upper right to switch to the classic screen.

At very least, please allow a sticky selection for the app to start on which every screen you desire. This option would keep everyone happy. And please bring back the link to the local map. When I scroll down and click on TempestWx Map, every time it opens, I get a map of the whole world and have to zoom in to my city. I often check the weather in our area’s close to me when planning outings.

3 Likes