URL sensitive to case or not?

If the T is causing the issue that’s wrong. A URL should be case insensitive.

EDIT (eric) : to make clear where this topic came from. Is a URL case sensitive or not and if you type a caps by accident in an url, will it work or not ?
exemple : www.xyz.com/Cap versus www.xyz.com/cap

1 Like

I’m hosting for over 15 years now and they have always been case sensitive. By far most servers run Linux version and linux is case sensitive. And Apache or nginx also.
You can indeed try to install some rules via .htaccess but that’s basically making redirections

This is not like emails that are indeed case insensitive

Edit : little nuancing after a quick research

When typing an Internet address, capitalization may be necessary. An Internet address is only case sensitive for everything after the [domain name] . For example, it does not matter if you use [uppercase] or [lowercase] with “computerhope.com,” it still reaches the same page. but anything after xyz.com like .xyz Domain Names | Join Generation XYZ is not the same as .xyz Domain Names | Join Generation XYZ

5 Likes

A URL should be case insensitive.

I think that’s incorrect. The FQDN ‘is’ insensitive, but the document half of the URL is generally case ‘sensitive’.

(tested on my Internet-facing ubuntu instance)

2 Likes

I said should be, not it has to be. As for time, I’ve been doing this for just over 25 years…

Well, that is no longer true.

Except as @sunny pointed out in the other thread, got.wf/Tempest-start works for him and it works for me the same as got.wf/tempest-start does. I tested this on Edge (chromium) on Windows 10.

1 Like

weird enough now it works, maybe someone did something under the hood

2 Likes

I can neither confirm nor deny whether something under the hood was done to make the short URLs cAsE-iNsEnSiTiVe

7 Likes