WeatherFlow PiConsole - Archive

Glad to hear v3.7 is working well. As @eric said, there is no official support for using a BME280 sensor. However, the PiConsole code is fully open so feel free to make whatever changes you need to make it work. This post will help: Announcements & Updates - #758 as will this one: Announcements & Updates - #1058. Just be aware that any changes you make will be overwritten by the update command. If you are competent with Git though, you can use that to merge your updates into new official updates.

No worries, I’m not sure where the 65 would have come from either. It’s possible your sensor sent a very dodgy value before shutting off completely

You can use an Air from WF for indoor temperature and humidity.

Steve, could you post or send me the code you used here to assign inTemp? I am trying to do something similar. Thanks.

@ExprmntAl Back in July you had some issues getting your console to display in a VNC session. I’ve just installed this and I’ve got what I believe is the same issue: I have an HDMI monitor & physical keyboard connected to my Pi and I’ve also got VNC running. If I run wfpiconsole start from either an ssh session, the physical keyboard, or a terminal session inside the VNC window, the display shows up on the HDMI monitor but nowhere else. I saw your suggestion about trying to change resolution and tried a few different ones, but it made no difference. Would you mind walking me through exactly what you did to make this work? Also, did you have to disconnect your HDMI monitor as well? Thanks.

How have you setup the VNC connection and what version Raspberry Pi do you have? If you follow these instructions to setup the VNC connection: Raspberry Pi Documentation - Remote access and you have a Pi4, it should work perfectly

Hi Peter. It’s a 3B+, and I have followed the instructions. I might do a complete uninstall of the VNC environment and re-install though I don’t have a lot of faith that will do any good.

In any case, this was just a short-term thing until I get around ordering a 7" screen, as I wanted to ensure that it was working properly before I laid out any money.

I’ll try the re-install and get back to you.

And thanks for creating this!

Ah - it’s probably because you have a Pi 3B+ rather than a Pi 4. Because the GPU in the 3B+ is not as powerful as the 4, the PiConsole is automatically rendered in a way that is not visible over a VNC connection. It’s not possible to change this as far as I can tell. I see the exact same behaviour between my 3B+ and 4.

It’ll work perfectly on the 7" screen though, so hopefully it won’t be too much of a issue for you.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. No issue at all. The Pi this is currently running on is already running a few things (pihole, piaware, and others) and while it’s still got plenty of horsepower left, my plan was to order a new Pi specifically for use as a display. If I get a 4, I’ll use that as my “main” Pi and use the 3B as the console. Good to know that’s the issue.

On another subject as long as I’ve got your attention: I have a DarkSky API key from years ago. Is that still usable, and if so, how do I enable it? I know that’s going away, but I thought it would be fun to give it a try until you have the WF forecast working.

No worries! Happy to help

I’m afraid DarkSky is no longer usable as I have already made the switch to the WeatherFlow forecast. The forecast API is still in development, so there is always a chance it will break at some point and I will need to fix it

1 Like

@DavidK,

As @peter said, I think your issue is that you are running on a Pi3 and not a Pi4. I am running on a Pi4 and can report that PiConsole will work with that version over RealVNC which is packaged as part of Raspberry Pi OS.

I was having 2 separate problems originally. One was caused by starting an X-window session through SSH and then logging into VNC viewer. The other was the issue that was solved by changing the screen resolution while logged into VNC viewer (this solution was found be reading the troubleshooting section of the RealVNC Viewer help menu). That solved my problem with being able to see the RPi Desktop through VNC.

Now what I do to view PiConsole “headless” is first log into the RPi via VNC Viewer. Then Open up a Terminal on the Desktop and run “wfpiconsole start” and the console starts up in the VNC Viewer Window. I can also report that this can also work outside your local network by setting up a RealVNC account and logging into it in the Viewer as well as on the Raspberry Pi. This will allow you to set up any device as a remote console whether on your network or not. This will really be slick once @peter updates PiConsole to allow for custom screen resolutions!

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks @ExprmntAl and @peter again for all the help. As I mentioned my primary goal was to make sure that things were working well enough that I could shell out for the screen. And I guess a case. And … :grin: Time to dive into the rabbit hole (though I guess mostly for the case; I’ve seen several mentioned favorably here).

2 Likes

Are there updated installation instructions for wfpiconsole anywhere? It goes through the installation process, and then spits out a help screen. Subsequently, the wfpiconsole command is nowhere to be found on the system, so the next step of wfpiconsole start under " Configure and Run WeatherFlow PiConsole" appears to be no longer valid…

Nope, everything should still be the same… It’s late here and I am about to checkout so might not be able to help tonight, but can you share any screenshots or terminal output? The wfpiconsole command should only spit out a help screen if the command (e.g. start) is not recognised.

The full installation command should still be: ​curl -sSL https://peted-davis.github.io/wfpiconsole | bash

Evening! We are having some wild weather here in Denver, 91degrees yesterday and wet/cold/freezing/rain/snow today. I went to look at my piconsole a little while ago and wfpiconsole had crashed.

Here is the error when I tried to restart:

2020-09-08 15:49:32-0600 [-] Log opened.
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] Traceback (most recent call last):
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] File “main.py”, line 1045, in
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] wfpiconsole().run()
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/kivy/app.py”, line 829, in run
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] root = self.build()
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] File “main.py”, line 256, in build
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] forecast.Download(self.MetData,self.config)
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] File “/home/pi/wfpiconsole/lib/forecast.py”, line 52, in Download
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] Extract(metData,Config)
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] File “/home/pi/wfpiconsole/lib/forecast.py”, line 119, in Extract
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] Weather = metDict[‘icon’].replace(‘cc-’,‘’)
2020-09-08 15:49:33-0600 [-] KeyError: ‘icon’

I did some research and this is the value of metDict as Weather is trying to be modified in forecast.py:

{‘time’: 1599606000, ‘conditions’: ‘’, ‘air_temperature’: 1.0, ‘sea_level_pressure’: 1025.21, ‘relative_humidity’: 100, ‘precip’: 0, ‘precip_probability’: 75, ‘wind_avg’: 2.0, ‘wind_avg_color’: ‘26fc59’, ‘wind_direction’: 346, ‘wind_direction_cardinal’: ‘NNW’, ‘wind_direction_icon’: ‘wind-arrow-nne’, ‘wind_gust’: 2.0, ‘wind_gust_color’: ‘ffca09’, ‘uv’: 0.0, ‘feels_like’: -4.0, ‘local_hour’: 17, ‘local_day’: 8}

So it looks like the ‘icon’ key is just not there.

So in forecast.py, if I comment out and set the Weather icon myself:

#Weather =  metDict['icon'].replace('cc-','')
Weather = 'snow'

…then wfpiconsole starts and I get the snow icon.

My station ID is 23272 if you want to take a look, and interestingly enough, the Weatherflow App and web page have no icon for the weather either.

Thanks,
Keith

Ah, things have updated. The app now says “Wintery Mix Likely” and wfpiconsole comes up as it should with “Sleet”.

But maybe note that apparently the API for pulling the forecast is able to send a missing key if it’s confused? No idea …

Keith

1 Like

.As I was initializing my Pi consoled I was to enter my unit number. I found that a bit confusing as there appears to be two numbers associated with my Tempest. On the public data page it shows one number and the the station shows an ST-nnnnnn number. Which one goes in Pi intry?

You will need you Station ID and your Tempest Device ID. Both can be found by going to www.tempestwx.com, clicking on Settings - Station - [your station name] - Status. The ST-nnnnnn is the Device serial number and that is different.

This looks like a glitch in the API. I’ll add some code to protect against this in the next update, and will also alert the WeatherFlow team to what you saw.

Thanks Peter. I really enjoy the Piconsole, thanks for all your hard work!

1 Like