WeatherFlow PiConsole - Archive

@peter Yeah its en-route as we speak :slight_smile: and @eric yeah I just took them out of the logs.

Cool, when you up and running with the new one it should work perfectly!

Hey Peter, how are you?

I have weirdness :confused: My outdoor air died and I left the station offline a while, finally got around today to update it. I was behind in updates, ran update and it successfully updated from 3.4 to 3.8. It needed new keys and I generated those and successfully added, but never got to the dialog to update the air ID, now when I run it, I get the below.
sudo wfpiconsole start
[INFO ] [Logger ] Record log in /root/.kivy/logs/kivy_20-10-12_3.txt
[INFO ] [Kivy ] v1.11.1
[INFO ] [Kivy ] Installed at “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/kivy/init.py”
[INFO ] [Python ] v3.7.3 (default, Jul 25 2020, 13:03:44)
[GCC 8.3.0]
[INFO ] [Python ] Interpreter at “/usr/bin/python3”
[INFO ] [Factory ] 184 symbols loaded
[INFO ] [Image ] Providers: img_tex, img_dds, img_sdl2, img_pil, img_gif (img_ffpyplayer ignored)
[INFO ] [Window ] Provider: sdl2([‘window_egl_rpi’] ignored)
error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
[CRITICAL] [Window ] Unable to find any valuable Window provider. Please enable debug logging (e.g. add -d if running from the command line, or change the log level in the config) and re-run your app to identify potential causes
sdl2 - RuntimeError: b’Could not initialize EGL’
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/kivy/core/init.py”, line 71, in core_select_lib
cls = cls()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/kivy/core/window/window_sdl2.py”, line 152, in init
super(WindowSDL, self).init()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/kivy/core/window/init.py”, line 981, in init
self.create_window()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/kivy/core/window/window_sdl2.py”, line 290, in create_window
self.get_gl_backend_name())
File “kivy/core/window/_window_sdl2.pyx”, line 224, in kivy.core.window._window_sdl2._WindowSDL2Storage.setup_window
File “kivy/core/window/_window_sdl2.pyx”, line 74, in kivy.core.window._window_sdl2._WindowSDL2Storage.die

[INFO ] [Text ] Provider: sdl2
2020-10-12 16:27:29-0400 [-] Log opened.
[CRITICAL] [App ] Unable to get a Window, abort.
pi@raspb4:~/wfpiconsole $

Any ideas? It may be best to install fresh? What to do?
Thanks!!

Scott

Hi Scott, all good thanks!

Have you changed the Raspberry Pi hardware you are using as well? That might explain the [CRITICAL] [Window ] Unable to find any valuable Window provider error, which usually only happens if there is a hardware mismatch. I think the best approach is to delete the wfpiconsole.ini file first, and then run the console again. This will force the entire config file to be regenerated (allowing you to enter a new Air ID) and fix any mismatches between the hardware and the config file.

If that doesn’t work, then maybe try a reinstall.

upgraded and launched manual, will reboot later to autostart
seems ok at first sight (as often). Seems you were able to smoothen the code, wind seems snappier (graphically)

Thanks Peter

1 Like

Great! I made a few tweaks to the wind display so that might explain why it is more responsive. I have also improve the logging. Whether you start manually with wfpiconsole start or autostart with wfpiconsole autostart-enable, there should be a new log file generated called wfpiconsole.log. It saves the terminal output from the current console session so should make debugging easier.

1 Like

Whilst unfortunately still waiting for my tempest delivery to the UK. Have been getting my pi sorted.

Is it possible to add local tide times to the PiConsole or am I able to add a custom button?

No problems with the merge after the update :wink: Thanks :wink:

You don’t have to reboot;-) Just do a $ sudo service wfpiconsole restart :wink: That will [re]start the service as the system would on boot.

2 Likes

I don’t see anything on your git page or here but do you accept donations? You’ve done a great deal to make a pretty awesome setup.

1 Like

Hi @germy, thanks for checking out the console and I am glad you like it. Thanks also for your generous offer, but I don’t accept donations. I develop the console as something to keep me busy in my free time and am happy to provide it to the community as is. If you would still like to make a donation though, please consider donating to a worthwhile charity instead :smiley: .

10 Likes

@peter - Can I make a suggestion that you include something in your docs somewhere about this?

FYI, I use this paragraph at the end of every readme file that I have published on Github:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This is the part where I am supposed to put in a PayPal link and ask for
donations if you find this code useful.  Since I am financially solvent (and
would starve to death if I had to make a living as a programmer), :-)  I would
like to encourage anyone reading this to make a small donation to a local
not-for-profit school, hospital, animal shelter, or other charity of your
choice who appreciates philanthropic support.
6 Likes

Thanks for the update. It’s working well.

One thing, though. When I stopped wfpiconsole, and then did the update command, after doing everything, I get an update failed message. Then after restarting, everything is working fine and appears up to date.

Good idea! Especially as the whole inspiration for asking users to donate to a charity instead came from reading that paragraph a while back. I think it is a great thing to do if you don’t wish to collect the donations yourself.

1 Like

That’s weird. Especially as everything is working. Can you remember the details of the error?

If you open a terminal and navigate to the wfpiconsole directory using: cd ~/wfpiconsole/ and then run this command: more errorLog , do you see anything useful, or does it just say No such file or directory?

There isn’t an errorLog file. Unfortunately I didn’t see the details of the error other than to see at the end that it said the update failed. I’ve had it fail before but when restarting, the update was successful. I re-ran the update command, and it said no update was required. When you do a future update, I’ll collect document whatever errors come up and look for the errorLog right away.

Sorry about that. Horrible troubleshooting on my part. :slight_smile: I’ll get what you need next time.

1 Like

Yesterday evening we got a thunderstorm passing by (+/- 300 meters) and the console registered the whole bunch and it is still running … guess for now solved.

1 Like

That’s good news! Always nice to get annoying bugs squashed

1 Like

I would like to setup this up, but I could use some guidance in choosing the best components. I’m a retired software engineer that is familiar with a couple of different variants of Linux, so I’m not too worried about the software aspect. I know that they just came out with a new raspberry Pi that has more memory, would that be the best one to buy? I would like the system to sit on a table with the option to tilt the display, so I’m also looking for a case for the display. I was looking at the SmartiPi case, does anyone have any other cases that they like? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

1 Like

I use the same case you do, nice, rather easy to install …
Regarding the Pi, don’t go bazooka on high end … a PI3b does it largely. Ressources used are very low and you will be able to run other things on the same pi without any problems.

Thanks Eric. I always tend to go toward the top end, you know, bigger is always better, but I’ll look a little lower. Thanks again.