WeatherFlow PiConsole - Archive

Oh jeesh! I am really am causing you issues. Sorry!

Ok, do you have a keyboard attached to the Pi, or do you connect to it using VNC or SSH? You must be able to access the terminal somehow in order to issue the wfpiconsole commands.

I have a Blue Tooth dongle for keyboard and mouse. Last August when I plugged in the dongle. . .Only the mouse worked on the BT. . . the kybd did Not. I had to use the mouse to go into the File | keyboard and use that little tiny on-screen kybd to carefully type things. It is not easy. . . I donā€™t speak UNIX / LINUX well. . .and if I type something wrong or accidentally move a file to a wrong folder. . Iā€™m Done!

okay. . .Peter. . .Iā€™m back. I have a BT Kybd Blue Toothā€™d to the console. . .and I have a dongle plugged in to one of the USB ports that gives me mouse control.

The console is currently at:

pi@wfpiconsole: ~ $

I just did a ls -l and I can see 7 directories. . .the last directory listed is wfpiconsole

just type

wfpiconsole update

and press enter

and let do till it finishes, as mentioned by Peter, this should re install the stable version.

i did that. and it came back with

WeatherFlow PiConsole update complete!
Restart the console with: ā€˜wfpiconsole startā€™
or ā€˜wfpiconsole autostart-enableā€™ .

Then I waited for like 3 mins before I did wfpiconsole start and it brought up the display screen Just Fine. But when I chose to touch the Sager Moon Lightning Menu bottons across the bottom. . .Nothing happened!

you can reboot the pi via console

type

sudo reboot

enter and it should gracefully stop the service and reboot. Might solve a few thing.

okay. . . did everything again.

sudo reboot ā€“ all running processes were stopped and console rebooted back to command prompt screen (pi@wfpiconsole:~$)

re-ran wfpiconsole update ā€“ all updates were reverted back to v22.3.1

re-ran wfpiconsole start booted up to Display screen with all parameters visible

Sager Moon Lighntning Menu buttons across the bottom still do Not repoond to touch!

Clock is running fine; Rapid Wind is updating every 3 seconds; everything else is Just Fine except the buttons on the bottom!

OK, sorry for all the mess. Glad youā€™ve been able to get a bluetooth keyboard hooked up and can stop the console even if the buttons are dead. I am pretty sure I have now fixed the button issue, so can you go ahead and run the beta script again

wfpiconsole beta

Let me know if the buttons are now working. I will need to look at why wfpiconsole update is not switching back to the stable branch. There is probably a bug somewhere

Thanks. . .will give it a try. . .but since the Display screen is locked. . .the kybd / mouse will have no effect. . .I cannot get there (Menu) from here w/o doing a hard (non-graceful) power kill.

If the keyboard is attached, you should be able to pull up the console that you called wfpiconsole start from and repeatedly press ctrl-c to stop the console from running. This will prevent you from having to power the Pi off and on

THANK YOU @peter (and @eric) for the help. I just reRan your new version of wfpiconcole beta. . . ran thru fine to completion.

Just did a wfpiconsole start and the Display came up fine . . .AND. . .and the Buttons now all WORK JUST FINE ! I tested it with the Reboot button and it worked just fine ! v22.3.1 All Function Buttons across the bottom work. . .and back to normal. What Ride that was ā€“ eh?

2 Likes

OK - Take 2!

@fritz614, OK I managed to track down your issue. Your station name ā€œFritz Weather Stationā€ had a trailing white space which was causing havoc in the code :rofl: . This is now handled correctly and everything should work as expected. Please update to the latest beta version of the code by running this command in the terminal:

wfpiconsole beta

and let me know if everything is working as expected.

@storm_tracker, @padamec the bug with the reboot/shutdown buttons has also been fixed. If you want you can update to the latest beta version using the command above until the next stable release is ready. Let me know if you see any other issues and I will get them fixed.

@jzsjr the bug you found when changing the time format is now fixed. Please run wfpiconsole beta again and let me know if everything is working correctly

1 Like

Fantastic! I think we are getting somewhere. I suggest you just stick on the beta channel now until I have a new stable release. At that point it will switch you back to the stable branch and all will be well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beta fixed my problem of it closing whenever I pressed menu.

Thank you for all your time and effort

Mike

2 Likes

The Beta fix worked for me too, Thanks again for you help!

2 Likes

Peter
All is working fine. Thank you for your timely fixes.
Jim

1 Like

Soā€¦. Iā€™m ignorant. I readily admit.
I have wfpiconsole running on an old laptop with Ubuntu.
Whenever I have had an update to to wfpiconsole or to Ubuntu, I have tried to follow the directions to update and everything seemed to be happy.
Recently, this notification show up on my screen in the livingroom. I ran ā€œwfpiconsole updateā€ on the terminal and it when thru gyrations & updated something, but this notification window didnā€™t go away.
Soā€¦. What do I do? What information do you need to tell me what to do? Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.
I already know Iā€™m ignorant, so save your breath. Thanx ā€¦ā€¦ jt

I am not going to claim to be an expert, but, in my experience, this occurs if something on your system needed to be updated, and it is asking for input to continue with the update (for me, it was usually weewx). I had to do something like a ā€œsudo apt updateā€ followed by a ā€œsudo apt full-upgradeā€ (responding to any prompts that come up) and then redo the upgrade.

By the way, there is a very good support thread for wfpiconsole at Announcements & Updates. The product author watches that thread and responds pretty quickly ā€¦ usually solving the problem.

Iā€™ll try your suggestion and then move to tge developer thread. Thank you very much!ā€¦. Jt