What are the "standard" weather parameter units for your locale?

Good luck with that. We have that for recreation in Colorado. Denver went crazy and pot related crime went up, up, up. Then the gang activity went crazy.

As a physics teacher I also want to educate as much as possible, even in subtle ways. This is why I like the yellow additions @dan.gealt proposes, especially for where non-SI units are selected. Just maybe a few of those consumers will start getting comfortable with Celsius temperature values. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It seems that for every two units there will be at least three opinions :wink: To be clear, we intend to support all units that make sense and users can set their units to whatever they like. However, what we’re looking for in this topic is specific feedback from anyone in a country other than the US or UK where the default units (°C, mbar, kph, mm) do not make sense.

For example, in the US most people think in “mph” (aka “miles per hour”) when they think about wind speed. And although “kts” (aka “knots” aka “nautical miles per hour)” is another common unit (especially near water), we have chosen to make “mph” the default. Again, individual users can change that default to kph or m/s or whatever is their favorite.

So the question is: In your country, what is the most common unit of measure when it comes to temperature, pressure, wind speed, and rain accumulation?

PS: it’s unlikely we’ll provide a display of multiple units in the same view any time soon.

The ONLY multiple reading that makes sense is the Air Temperature. I think that is the single most useful. Temperature is the single most useful metric to the majority of people. And understanding F and C is the single best way to start learning.

3 Likes

As well as it is an old topic, it might be the appropriate place to point it out

I totally agree with the unit. Is it common in US to write it like “kph” ?
In Europe, especially in Germany, we are more used to “km/h” .

1 Like

No, I think “km/h” is probably the more common abbreviation for “kilometers per hour” - even in the US. We need to fix that.

4 Likes

Our friends to the north agree…except that they like kilometRE in some places just to be different:

2 Likes

guess near Quebec ??? Kilomètre = fench

3 Likes

Hello all!
I’m returning (just now) from vacations just to say… never trust a speed limit sign. I live in France, just near the Belgium border and something “strange” with belgian speed signs is there an enormous error on units (on ALL signs). I leave you alone judge :rofl:

belgique

2 Likes

that is the distance to Brussels from the border Pierre :rofl: and you are recommended not to go there

5 Likes

Yes, that’s the only possible interpretation. But does Brussels really exist?
The red circled distance signs show random values… :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, that’s nothing compared to many speedlimit signs I’ve seen all over the USA. Many, if not most, say “SPEED 70 MILES.” So I guess go as fast as possible for 70 miles. :rofl:

If you see a sign that states that, call the US Department of Transportation and report it.

The signs are to be written as:
svg

4 Likes

I see that someone has been reading their Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices again . . . :thinking:

2 Likes

I am waiting for the opportunity to tell a judge that specifying speeds in miles/hour and not a unit closer to instantaneous like feet/second permits me to drive flat-out on my 10 mile commute to work on a posted 65 miles/hour interstate.

As the writing on my sideview mirror says, “objects in mirror are slower than me…” :wink:

5 Likes

One point further:
Time is measured in seconds, minutes or hours with the common (in Germany even by law) abbreviations s, min, h…
For lightning detection I see an “m” in both app-worlds in the first column…

Although, the displayed unit sign for the batterie voltage seems to be a small “v” instead of a capitol one “V”.

1 Like

For wind also the Modern Scale of Beaufort is used.

I don’t know for other Countries, but our weather forecast does use it daily.

CALCULATION TABLE

Translation Form (TIP!)

@dsj

The unit symbols for Ampere is a capitalized “A” and Volt is capitalized “V” because both unit names are based on the names of scientists.

4 Likes

Absolutely correct on the unit names being names of real people!

We know that e=ir, but Volts=Amperes x Ohms.

And cycles per second (cps) is now now named after Heinrich Hertz (Hz).

And don’t forget about our friends Daniel Fahrenheit (F degrees), Anders Celsius (C degrees), William Rankine (R degrees) and of course, we still have the controversy over William Thomson who became Lord Kelvin so we don’t know if it should be K degrees or k degrees (T degrees would really throw a wrench in the works).

But, once again, I digress . . . I think that the battery value should be a capital V but maybe a slightly smaller font than the numeric value being shown.

3 Likes

Since Kelvins are an absolute energy scale they are not degrees, just Kelvins. In physics we always use K.

5 Likes