What are the "standard" weather parameter units for your locale?

Right you are! I was just having some fun with unit names and got a little carried away on Lord Kelvin :thinking:

3 Likes

How about Zefram Cochrane then? Why is the unit used to denote the speed of light a “c” and not a “C” in his honor? :rofl: :thinking:

Also, am I the only person tempted to crank up Steppenwolf’s “Magic Carpet Ride” right now??? :rocket::musical_note:

3 Likes

That’s interesting. In the US it’s common to use “min” but it’s also pretty standard to use lowercase “m” as a very short abbreviation of “minute” (and uppercase “M” for “month”). That said, we didn’t invent the date/time formats in our apps - they are driven by a time/date library that each app employs (like this one for iOS: GitHub - MatthewYork/DateTools: Dates and times made easy in iOS).

Yes, the little “v” bugs me a bit too (but just a bit). Our graphic designer is playing the artistic license card. Hopefully no one is too confused by it.

For what it’s worth, and to go WAY off topic, my graduate adviser, Dr. Scott Samuelsen, was responsible for the “R + M / 2” octane rating for gasoline that’s used across the US & Canada (and maybe other countries?). Alas, his name is not plastered across millions of fuel pumps because it just wasn’t phonetically friendly enough to earn a unit named after him…

5 Likes

Maybe c is a constant.

5 Likes

As far as I know, the USA (North America?) is unique in using (R+M)/2, ie AKI. Most civilized parts of the world specify octane in RON, which I assume was not the first name of Dr. Samuelsen’s rival in research… :rofl:

5 Likes

Wow . . . that goes back a bit . . . but I’ll crank it up and continue to be greatly amused by some of the great trivia brought up by the folks in this community! You all are a lot of fun! Thanks.

5 Likes