Potential newbie

HI
I’m contemplating a purchase and would like input from owners on the product. How well does it work and ease of installation. How is customer support to work with and their responsiveness. I live in East Texas and would be replacing a Davis Vantage Vue as a point of reference.
Thank you for the information.
Kevin

I got mine set up yesterday- mostly. We’re going to be mounting it during the weekend. It was super quick and easy to set up. Also- the hub is much smaller than it appears in pictures so it should fit anywhere.

Thank you for the info
Kevin

Super easy to set up. Customer service is fabulous.

Now whether it will replace a Vue depends on what you’re looking for. There’s no console so you need to create your own (a raspi can easily do that, see the third-party integrations section), but a lot of folks like the phone app a lot as the WF alternative.

The biggest question is rain accuracy. Best case their ‘rain check’ cleans up your totals (or tries to) the next morning every morning and does a good job. For many folks that’s kinda not quite what we’d hoped, but it is ok for some users who are less interested in seeing realtime rain info.

As a Vue owner you’re likely familiar with the well-known good Davis customer support. WF is at least that good in my experience if not better. Super easy to work with.

Poke around the forums and see what others say so far.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have any reservations at all. Customer service is fabulous, the Engineerjng team super responsive and closely monitors this forum, and the device has been “just fine”. I have a Tempest, my first WF—been an AcuRite customer historically and wanted to see what the newfangled no moving parts tech could do.

I use an old iPad as my mostly-always-on display, gives it something to do besides gather dust.

Good for you for poking around before plunking down the cash, Kevin.

Me, I’m new to the personal weather station game, but I knew I wanted something that I could connect to my smart-home devices to monitor rain for our garden, so when I saw the Tempest pop up on a crowdfunding site, I thought it would be worth the risk.

Short answer? It’s better than I expected.

It was super-easy to set up and installation took a little time because I wanted to give it the best chance for clear air in our suburban backyard.

The data it provides is rich and frequent and I’m currently able to do a few “smart” things with it via IFTTT and look forward to even more smart-home integrations down the road.

And the company’s involvement in the forum is impressive.

I can’t think of one negative I’ve experienced. I made my own bird spikes out of some holey zip ties and fence ties but look forward to WF selling an actual solution instead of my DIY thing. :wink:

Hope whatever you choose works out well for you, but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you buy a Tempest!

1 Like

Thank you very much!
Kevin

1 Like