Tempest API with indicator light display

I am interested in measuring wind speed as it pertains to industrial safety. I work at a site that unloads raw materials from an end-dump trailer by raising the bed up into the air. Wind speed can play an affect in safe unloading and we are looking for a way to notify the truck drivers that the windspeed is out of the safe unloading range. I am looking for a system that could theoretically utilize the Tempest API to detect wind speeds up to 30/35 mph and display green, yellow, red on an indicated light based on the observed wind speed ranges.

I would be reluctant to base anything safety-of-life on a low price consumer device. Very very reluctant.

2 Likes

with your own tempest that shouldn’t be any problem, the api is well documented and you can even try it out interactively using the API link at the top of this page.
Or perhaps even better, use something like a raspberry pi to read the UDP messages coming directly from the unit. That would give you windspeed every 3 seconds.

1 Like

Hi @v.keniley ,
My main purpose for my Tempest is to measure wind speed which it usually does very accurately if you understand its limitations.
Mounting the Tempest clear of any obstructions is sometimes an issue which causes low readings due to being in a wind gradient or a wind shadow.
The ultrasonic sensor works very well when it is dry. There can be errors when water or insects sit between the ultrasonic sensors. There are some discussions on the forum such as this one: https://community.tempest.earth/t/wind-speed-is-way-off-after-heavy-rain-and-storms/14022
If you are prepared to accept the limitations then the coloured lights are very possible if some one builds the device.
Or you could simply ask the people to view the readings from your web page linking to the wind readings and tell them what the limits are:
Tempest

Using the API as your title suggests is also the method that I would choose if you have easy internet access. And I would also choose a raspberry pi to run it as it would do everything including switching the lights.
Alternatively the lights might be a display on a web page that anyone could see on a phone.

For my requirements I have created my wind display to colour the wind socks depending on the strength. I have developed it on a raspberry pi using python to draw the graphs into images which I publish onto my web site for my friends to watch the wind. I use cron to get the readings from the API every few minutes and draw the graph.
Here is an example. The solid coloured wind socks are the average speed and the grey wind socks are the maximum 3 second value during the period.

Anything is possible cheers Ian :slight_smile:

3 Likes