Weather Display with epaper display :)

Hoi zäme,

I am not finished yet but wanted to give you a quick insight into a very nice display that I copied and adapted from:
https://www.printables.com/model/47605-e-paper-display-stand-esp32

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

9 Likes

If there’s no bill of materials and no posted code, it didn’t happen :slight_smile:

Very pretty display !!!

4 Likes

I would defiantly want to see the inventory of materials and a good video of the build.

1 Like

I love the look of this.

tweatherman

You can have a look at the printables link I’ve posted, he’s uploaded a picture of the inside. There’s a lolin D32 pro board inside and a waveshare 7.5 HD V2 display with a converter.

I did not find time yet to fully integrate all of it. I am still missing the lightning information and some other stuff. The battery arrived the other day and I need to integrate it and see how long it lasts.
Once I’ve got the code complete I can upload it if someone is interested. Nothing too fancy though.

Cheers

4 Likes

I’m working on something similar using an Inkplate 10. I struggled adapting any of the numerous other e-paper weather displays to use WF data and the Inkplate so I just started from scratch. I have it pulling forecast data from the API and listening to UDP for the rapid wind. Not an easy task given the huge JSON payload when requesting the forecast.

Currently I’m working on laying it all out on the screen in a nice clean way. I’d love to see your code when you’re done, particularly for the graphs.

Sounds great. Did you manage to “download” the tempest data already or do you need some hint? I struggled quite a bit at the beginning but must admit I am not the coding genius :slight_smile:
The graphs you can see mainly in the code from G6EJD where I copied most of the project from:

Let me know if you need anything in particular.

Cheers

I don’t want to copy and paste it here directly because its huge but my code UDP/API code is visible in this issue I created on arduinojson (Code no longer compiles on 6.21.0 · Issue #1897 · bblanchon/ArduinoJson · GitHub). I ended up creating a 100k spi ram object and streaming the json response directly in to it to avoid memory issues. I’m sure there is a better way as I only program for fun and only had an intro to C class 30 years ago :rofl:

I’ve used the G6EJD library for past e-paper projects but the Inkplate just uses standard Adafruit GFX calls

1 Like

I definitely do share your pain, I am at the same level of programming hence why I copied the files to my HDD and tried out instead of using github and doing it nicely for the rest of the world :slight_smile:
Do you know what the difference between DynamicJsonDocument jdoc(3027) and your SPI ram object is?

Happy coding :wink:

Is there a source code available??

Hi Michael, I haven’t worked on it and didn’t finish the code. If there’s any special “area” that you’d like to see, let me know. I took the code 95% from G6EJD as I’ve posted above the only thing I changed is to obviously get the data from the tempest and not weather underground.

Cheers!

Just found that someone is selling something very similar https://www.etsy.com/listing/1522767631/