WF stations near me?

I read about many posters who are able to view data from nearby stations. I have not been able to find any instructions for finding stations near me. I have searched through the support FAQs and website as well as the community forum without success. How is that done?

5 Likes

Hi @stanleyfam

If you are viewing your own weather station either from a browser or from the App on your mobile phone or tablet there is a map at the bottom of the page.

If you click that map it expands and displays nearby stations. If you then click a different station it changes colour from blue to white and you can read its data. If you click its name at the top you goto that station.

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

Thanks all for the help. I thought I tried clicking on the map. Also, when I’m looking at my own station, there is no map.

I also have no map in the app (no word play intended),
but can access the web link to the “official map” given above.

The issue here is to do with the exact URL you are using to view you station. If you are using the URL designed to be shared with others, then the map will appear. If you are using the URL that is designed not to be shared (i.e. the one that allows you to view you station configuration, units, public name etc.), then the map will not appear.

The sharing URL has /share/ in the link (e.g. Tempest), whilst the URL that is not to be shared has /station/ in the link (e.g. Tempest - of course you can’t access this URL unless you also own the station).

There is no map in the App.

It occurred to me recently that it would be nice to see the map in both types of URL, so I am going to go ahead and post a feature request.

2 Likes

What I do is go to Weather Underground and look for all active weather stations in close proximity to mine. Click one of those stations. I then drill down into the type of hardware & software providing the data into “about this PWS”.

Gary L.

Nov update: we are experimenting with a variety of different ways to expose the official Smart Weather Network map in the app and on the web. If you have specific suggestions, we’re open to hearing your ideas. Thanks!

2 Likes