Wind reporting high - power save mode

Well said, Cole. I’ve been seeing this from WeatherFlow for the past two years.

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind comment @Cole . We’re a group of honest hard working folks dedicated to innovation in weather. Sometimes the path is long and uphill, but it’s the path we’ve chosen to produce something truly different. The product itself is not perfect yet, but we purposefully designed it to get better and better over time with input from customers and data from the network. We couldn’t do it without customers like you. So thank you for your patience and for your contributions to this journey.

4 Likes

Ive been noticing high wind speeds after I turned on the power save mode. However I also noticed that ive been having high humidity – like 100% – Does not seem right to have 10-15 mph gust with 90-100% humidity. Ive heard others saying when they have had rain – they have had problems with wind speed measurement. I have other anemometers that aren’t reporting those high speeds early in the morning — 12 mid to 4am help - help Is it the moisture or problems with the hub

If water droplets are forming within the sonic path of the anemometer then the wind speed readings will be suspect. Most reports of this happening though have been during strong rain events rather than condensation forming from high humidity levels.

If you think your humidity levels are too high, check out this thread: Humidity Appears Incorrect Causing Incorrect Dew Point

its doesn’t have to do with changing to power saver mode — I don’t usually have high wind gust around 12 mid- 5pm – usually its an afternoon – like 2-5pm

I’m sorry but I don’t understand the problem you are having.

If you are getting high winds during power save mode, then this is a known bug that is being fixed.

If you are getting water droplets in the sonic path then this is a known limitation of sonic anemometers and you need to wait for it to dry out.

If you are getting too high humidities then check out the link I sent you.

If you think there is an issue with you SKY device that isn’t any of the issues above, and you think it is malfunctioning, then I would suggest you contact WeatherFlow support.

Hope some of this helps!

3 Likes

Appears the fix has not been distributed yet.

1 Like

Have not been in power save mode since coming across this, experiencing the same/similar phenomenon this morning while in the “regular” reporting mode. Calm conditions yet steady wind data being reported.

2505_wind

If you had any rain recently, there could be water on the sensors, which will produce wind readings. Let it dry out and they will return to normal.
–Sam

2 Likes

If there’s not something in the path of the sonic sensors (water? leaves?) please open a ticket at support@weatherflow.com and we can troubleshoot directly.

Thanks. While we had a lot of rain the afternoon before I did not notice any droplets along the edge or in the area of the sensors (or any other obstruction). I power cycled the unit and order was restored.

1 Like

Hi @dsj, it appears that the original situation about power save mode and elevated wind readings still exists. I’ve been testing this this morning while we’ve had no or very light winds. Turning on power save results in immediate jump in wind readings and turning it off results in a dramatic lowering of wind data.

It was my understanding from another thread that there was a bug found that might explain this and also had the impression that a fix was in development.

Given that the problem still exists (at least on my unit) would it be possible to find out the status of a potential fix for this?

My hub FW is 49, SKY FW is 43

Thanks, Dave

We’re testing a firmware update now with a fix for this (among many other fixes). Hoping to roll it out to everyone by the end of the week.

1 Like

Thanks much, I appreciate the update.

1 Like