Pressure sensor failed less than 3 days online

Sent in a ticket on Thursday and no reply as yet.
Tried turning off the power to the unit and hub, waited a while and on again for 5 mins sensor was all ok then pressure sensor failure again.
Is there anything more I can do from here?

Also in graph mode it only shows pressure at sea level. I live in Switzerland so no sea close to me and I’m at 566m above sea level so I would like to see Station pressure and sea on the same graph? Is that possible?
Regards
Paul.

hi Paul,

welcome. Sorry that the unit failed so quickly. Support will take care of this.
With respect to pressure, local station pressure is only useful when you want to calibrate your altimeter when standing next to a station (which is good for planes, climbers etc). But when you do that you only need the latest measurement (not a graph).

If you want to compare it to any other station in your neighborhood (or worldwide), you’ll have to compensate for the difference in height between your station and the other station. That is why sealevel pressure is used.

For checknig if there is a sudden change in pressure, a graph is very useful, but (depending on the model used) the graphs for station pressure and for sealevel pressure look the same, it is just a vertical shift of the graph.

Hi Paul,
You can see your station pressure below the forecast on your web page. If you change my station number to your station number on this link you can scroll down and read your current station pressure:
Tempest
This is my current reading:

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

Hi Sunny
Thanks for the info.
From here if we go to the west it’s 880km accros France and off to the east we have the Alps then Italy to the sea as the crow flys 377km so the pressure at sea level could change and we would not feel a change.
I go boating with my motorboat and like to see how the weather is for the lakes here, it can be sunny and no wind at home but at my boats mooring rain and gale force winds.
That’s why I asked for local as in the here and now and less of what might be in a day or two.

Thanks for your reply Ian.
Mine is 31949 just put it back outside to it will be cooling down again.
As for pressure I get - - - or a very low reading of 796 hPa or so at sea level so I don’t know where it’s getting that info

Paul.

sure, I understand that the sea is far away from your location. It is only called sealevel pressure, as that is what people agreed upon, when sharing and comparing pressure, even when not near sea. It is the trend that might give you some hint about the local weather.

your unit seemed to have worked fine until november 19. I don’t know what happened, but it looks broken to me. As mentioned support will take care of you. Just wait a bit.

Your barometric sensor appears faulty so I am not sure if your altitude has been set correctly or something else is also faulty?
Support will hopefully sort you out but they will take some days backlog to get to you.
Just to be sure that you understand the different pressure readings see ‘Mean sea level pressure’ here:

compared to ‘surface pressure’
And in your App there were two heights that need to be correct. There is a height for your station which is probably taken from the map of your location and another height for how high above ground you mount the Tempest which may default at 6m.
Best of luck with support, they are very good so they will get it fixed.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

All settings with regards to the height are correct
The sensor isn’t working for some reason
A new unit is on the way from US to Switzerland
So hopefully all will be ok on the neu unit.

Thanks all for your helpful comments
Regards Paul.

Hi Paul - I seem to have the same problem. My pressure sensor stopped working after 2 days. Powering off and on I think it gets at least one reading and then it stops working again. I am now waiting for support. How long did it take to get a replacement?

Mark

I see indeed the warning but not 100% sure it is just that (though it could and support will send a new unit)

Also your battery is depleting and sensors are going in safe mode.

This explains the ‘slow’ readings for wind as an exemple. Always dull gray days or is it’s location not so ice and it doesn’t see much direct sunlight due to shade ??

Support was super the new unit took close to 3 weeks to get to me it was sent normal post not express but here now and so far working ok.

Thanks @eric - I noticed the battery depleting as well and saw the posts from others.

I placed the Tempest in the same place I have had a weather station for five years without a problem. The sun is very low in the sky and comes through the tops of some light trees without leaves. In the past that has been enough.

On one day of 11 days the solar radiation got reached 300 and four days to about 200. I am assuming the cold weather is not helping the battery capacity as well.

I am keeping an eye on the battery and hoping the battery protection will balance out the small charge it gets each day.

Thanks Paul - good to hear

At the moment it looks like support are saying it is my battery level except it failed on when it was at 2.53V and it is not one of the sensors that goes into safe mode (except when it shuts down).