Sky is Dead on arrival (solved)

Hi weather flow, my air and sky were working fine until June 17, since we are using it on our boat I removed the batteries from each device and stored the devices indoors until we returned. The air works fine but when I powered up the sky, there was no flashing green light and the device is non responsive. Fresh batteries made no difference. Email support is very slow, do you have a contact number so we can resolve this

It’s better to tag someone of the staff (@dsj) … they cannot read all board messages.

One thing worth trying is to clean the battery connections in the SKY with a pencil eraser. They may have a bit of corrosion.

Jim

Thanks Jim, the contacts look perfect, tried the eraser idea but still no luck

Mystery solved, the red wire to the door - positive is disconnected. How to we go about replacing the device

the usual support desk is according me the best way to go.

No way ou can solder it back in place ? At least the time helpdesk comes back to you ?

1 Like

I just finished soldering it, back in business, probably still needs to be replaced, the factory connection looks tenuous at best, then fatigues and breaks when the battery door is opened

2 Likes

Glad to hear you got your SKY working again. I will need to remember to take a close look at the connection when the time comes to replace the batteries in my SKY.

Jim

Hi @devilsgardenranch After looking at your photo (below), it does appear to be a solder connection of the red wire to the battery door. So glad you have the electrical competency to re-solder and get your SKY live. Once the batteries are installed, there is virtually no stress on that connection. However, please feel free to contact our support team if it ever becomes an issue and we’ll stand behind our product.

We are looking at ways to re-engineer the connection wire to the battery door in future designs. Thanks for your feedback and your soldering talents.

SKY_battery_connector

2 Likes

Has the team considered using a flat ribbon style cable which is also more centered to avoid a tight bend?? :thinking:

I personally would have left the wire out completely, replacing it with a downward-facing pogo pin on the edge opposite the hinge that made contact with the plate on the door just as it closed…

1 Like

Using a pogo pin would be an excellent idea to replace the wire connection.

Jim

1 Like

…and left the space free near the hinge for an automatic battery ejector linkage… :thinking:

1 Like

I’m sold ~ Next iteration upgrade . . . :+1: :rofl:

1 Like

Clearly a very good idea!

2 Likes