Weather Display

For multiple air/sky/tempest/hub devices, you can tell them apart by their serial numbers in every UDP message. That would mean you’d need to support some kind of sensor map such as “get rain from ST-0001234” and “get temperature from AR-0002345” etc, which is what the weewx driver does.

Supporting that flexibility also can make it a bit harder for new non-linux users to set their scenario up and makes debugging a little harder. We see a lot of users who think they can use the ‘example’ config file snippet on their host and they expect it to work.

(I suggested that future updates use clearly fake serial numbers in the documentation ala ST-REPLACEME or the like, just to try to make it obvious).

1 Like

yeah, I guess that is the only way, via the user setting what device serial number to use which measurement…complicates the setup in the software that’s for sure though
I do have it where you can not use UDP and instead get the data from web socket from the cloud, which is better because then the data is defined better as you request from a station ID

I am trying Weather Display on my MacBook Pro. I haven’t purchased yet as I want to see if it works as flawlessly as I remember Cumulus running on an old PC. Unfortunately, I don’t think Cumulus works with the Tempest. Anyway, I used to start Cumulus and it would automatically download the day’s data, update, and display everything as if the program was never turned off. I can’t figure out how to get Weather Display to do this. My data has large gaps in the time when my computer is off and I can’t figure out how to get the program to grab the missing data. Any help?

Yeah, it seems there is a fairly stiff learning curve in getting it to work properly. Mine is displaying data correctly it seems (unfortunately, not entirely sure I can effectively explain it unless I completely wipe the program and start over and document the steps which I may do if it will help with my situation). It might be a great program, but I can’t get it to grab historical data from the hub when the program wasn’t running on the computer.

Just so you know, once the hub has successfully passed the data on to the WF servers it is no longer on the hub and has to be pulled from the WF servers.

Aha!! That may explain part of it. Is there a way to log into tempest and grab the info from there while using weather display? That may solve the issue with history sync

Hi
make sure that under control panel, data logger, that the switch is on there
so that then WD will get the missed data since it was last running

1 Like

I do have the switch on for “extract data at start up”…if I click test, it says time period too short. Graphs are flatlined when the program was not running and it is showing wind data for times 3 hours in the future

make sure to be using the very latest version of the WD mac version as I have fixed an issue with the history data at start up
also make sure you have setup the lat/long and time zone correctly in the sun moon rise/set setup

Version is 10.37Mac build 350. Latitude and longitude are set and I am in pacific time zone so I have it set as -7.

humm, I will do some testing here today…do you live in Australia then? :slight_smile:

No, location is Watsonville, CA. It’s very possible it is user error with my setup.

ah, you need to set your time zone hour as positive (i know its bit backwards as its based on solar calculations which work that way)

Okay, thank you! I’ll give it a try

So it looks like it is grabbing the data log now, but now I have no current weather data and data received is showing 0 and the clock is frozen.

Edit: nevermind…I did a computer restart and I think it is working correctly now. Thanks!

Unfortunately, the main view panel with graphs, current conditions, and extreme conditions is frozen and can’t get it to work. Have tried restarting the computer and restarting the program several times with no luck. No real time data is displayed and the clock is stuck and does not change at all. Any help?

Hello – is this the same for the Mac version?

I misread this – I thought you were talking about device ID (instead of station ID). My bad.

I understand the challenge with nabbing device ID for the different measurements. It would be a nice feature however.

JP

the mac version can get data from just the cloud data only
unset to use udp data
the latest mac version should work OK with UDP data from a tempest (does here)
this thread is only about an issue if you have UDP data coming from the original weather flow hub at the same time as a tempest hub

Thanks Brian – appreciate the reply. I currently have two Tempests assigned to the same hub. When I use the cloud data I never get data. I presume this is due to needing the device ID and using web socket. This is for my mac.